Had an Accident, can anybody help me figure out what happened?

Well, at least there were no injuries and you are here to discuss it.

Reply to
sharx35

The mystery continues.....

Reply to
sharx35

Reply to
BrianJ

My wife, in her 2000 Avalon, rear ended a new Saturn at very slow speed. The Saturn only appeared to have a scratch on the bumber. The Avalon, however, was damaged exactly as the original poster described. The total reapair bill was $5,314!!! We were just about to replace this car and our dealer was going to give us $7,000 for the Avalon so I guess you could say that it was close to totalled. We traded after the accident and the same dealer gave us $6,000 for it.

Incidentally, my wife had the same perception as the OP. She thought the car would stop but it didn't. She'd never been in an accident so had no experience on which to base her perception but that is how she saw it.

I have a Camry now and I think we'll take the advice that someone posted about experimenting with the brakes to experience the ABS in action. Thanks. jor

Reply to
jor

Oops, I misinterpreted what you wrote.

I don't remember what Stewart wrote, but his posts are generally very helpful and accurate so you can trust his technical judgement.

In a panic-stop situation, the driver will generally stomp on the brake pedal as hard and quickly as possible. When the brakes are applied in this manner in a passenger vehicle, the pedal will feel mushy or like it is going to the floor and the vehicle speed will feel like it is not dropping off quickly enough. Vehicle stopping distances are longer than most people realize - here is a web site that shows stopping distances:

At 30 MPH on dry pavement, the average stopping distance is 75 feet, about the length of a semi tractor trailer.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear that there were no injuries.

Reply to
Ray O

I stand corrected. Actually that's only 1 1/2 sentence according to my word wrap setting. hehehehe

Reply to
Must be Me