hard starting 4runner

Have a 93 4Runner V6, since new. Has about 160k miles. Always had maintenance at manual-specified intervals. I'm up here in Canada near the end of a cold winter. I'm semi-retired and work Tue, Wed & Thursday. If I drive the truck daily then no problem, starts right away. But if I miss a day or two then it's a bugger to start. So two questions please:

  1. Does the fuel pump start pumping when you turn on the ignition or when you turn key to start? &
  2. It seems as though it isn't getting gas, like its drained away or lost pressure. Is this plausible?

I've ruled out ignition is because of the time intervals between last running within 24 hours - no problem within 48 hours - cranks much longer & may even sputter on starting within 72 hours - really hard to start - had to drag out a second battery

and I've heard don't touch gas pedal. Is that because the computer will then thinks it's started?

Checked battery & it's fine for now. Lots of power to start. You get used to the 'timing' of a start, and the sound of the engine turning over at whatever rpm. It's always started right away, like the first 3 seconds of turning the key. But miss a day now and everything sounds the same but just keeps turning over and over

Guess it's off to the dealers.

Reply to
thedriver

The fuel pump works only when the engine is turning, like when cranking or when it is running., Just turning the ignition on will not activate the fuel pump.

From the symptoms you are describing, the fuel pressure regulator is leaking down. This can be checked by installing a fuel pressure gauge and letting the vehicle sit to see if the pressure drops excessively over time.

Reply to
Ray O