He's Back!

Tried upgrading HDDs...not an easy thing with Linux!System blew it's brains out; running on a "Live" version that runs from CDuntil I can get the drives to Play Nice with each other...so far it's been like trying to get L. Richard and SiF to play nice with each other! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

You didn't have a backup? Shame on you! Maybe this is a good time to have a dual boot system with Windows on the other side. Really, you'll like it better. We've had so many programmers at work switching from Linux to WinXP and still able to run their ClearCase software management software and even run Realtime sessions through the SGI Irix systems. They also have more software programs to use now. What is your Live version, Knoppix?

Dick and Scott live for each other. If one is gone, the other gets too bored and slows down.

Reply to
badgolferman

Arrrggghhhh! Every time I have tried this, on the 200-300th boot, the system pukes and I lose almost everything! LILO was OK, GRUB is abominable! Much easier just to swap HDDs...

Knoppix doesn't let you log in as Root, which is what I needed. I was running SuSE 9.3 Live Eval.

Knoppix IS good, and FAST, too.

Well, here's what happened. By the way, I am up and running from an HDD now...

Every time Staples has a sale on HD's I usually buy one. So, I have a bunch of drives sitting around; I was trying to hook up 4 of them. I have a 2ndary IDE on my machine. Every time i try to use it I get an "Unable to sync" error. So, I also have a PCI ATA-133 Controller from a machine with a 33 controller chip. I installed the controller, hooked up the drives and tried to set things up. Now, I'm getting ALL kinds of errors, mostly "Trying to kill Init." Nice...

I removed the drives and reloaded Linux. in the process, the setup program wrote out an FSTAB file. FSTAB was referencing partitions no longer there, so FSCK was choking and halting the system. Since I like DOS/Windows EDIT, I always load PICO, a very easy to use editor. It FINALLY dawned on me to look at FSTAB, and there were references to the missing partitions. I deleted all the references except for the ones to the first HDD, finished the setup, re-referenced the new HDD and away we went!

i have been using Linux for about 14 months steady; I 'played' with it before but would get frustrated to the max! I used to be a Help Desk analyst (BEFORE they all went to India!) and a Novell CNE, but Linux is a different animal. I can poke my way through Windows with my eyes shut. So, I guess I'm not as dumb as I thought I was!

I, uh, gulp, am going to try again with multiple HDDs; I got the address of the PCI card and am goint to set it up as IDE2 and IDE3 and see what happens...wish me luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku