Head gasket on 95 Camry

Of course. And new screws etc. No big deal. I just torque them when I see a bit of a drip.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

My '86 "86", also. Looking pretty good, that is.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
noname87

Other than the oil leaks, Cressidas were pretty good cars. Thankfully, those problems have not appeared on subsequent engines ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray.

The timing belt, water pump, idler, belts, valve cover gasket, distributor o-ring were changed in the last 15K. The valve cover was tighten after that. The oil pan bolts were tighten. When the timing belt was changed the mechanic said the oil seals looked good. I should have insisted that they also be changed but I was relaying on his judgement. Placing cardboard under the car yields two to three scatter oil spots.

The radiator fluid level remains constant but I will keep a eye on it. The oil shows no sign of coolant but I will check with the mechanic again.

The engine has never overheated.

Reply to
noname87

You're welcome! I would hold off authorizing replacement of the head gasket if you are not experiencing the symptoms I described earlier. I've heard that the oil seals will generally last through 2 timing belt replacements but not through 3, so I think a peek under the timing belt cover is easy enought that it is worth a look. Also check the bottom of the transmission bell housing for motor oil. If there is oil where the transmission meets the engine, the rear crankshaft seal may be leaking. That is an expensive fix, and you will have to decide for yourself whether or not you want to spend the money.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Ya right, in your dreams. I own several domestics that have up to 300K on the clock that run just fine. If you own an old Jap car that still has good paint, it is most likely an import, or it is not red silver or blue

Every manufactures paint, particuraly red silver or blue on cars painted in the US, back in the late eighties and early nineties had the same paint problems because of US date certain regulation placed on the paint maufactures without allowing them time to develop new paints, do a search WBMA

Reply to
Mike hunt

The work of a Republican administration, wasn't it?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Goota be. The poor top posting moron doesn't realise that paint wears well if it's properly taken care of. Is bullshit of 300k on a domestic that runs just fine is proof he can't be trusted to tell the truth.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Actually it was an act of Congress

Reply to
Mike hunt

And who signed it? An act of Congress doesn't become a law unless it is signed or a veto overridden or the President do either.

And what did Reagan and his administration do about this law? And who wrote those regulations? Congress writes laws, not regulations.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You have our sympathy...