Headlight bulb change 2000 corolla - how to do it

Hi

My left front headlight is out and I bought a replacement bulb. I have replaced bulbs in the past on my cars but cannot figure this one out. There is not much room in the back to access. I took out 2 bolts that hold a fuse holder that is behind and to the top of the light to gain access. But this only moved it an inch. Was able to disconnect the connector but that is far as I have been able to get.

From the back I cannot get ahold of anything that seems like it has a

clip on snap or whatever. But the bulb looks like it is mounted from the rear.

There are 2 metal clips that hold the front lens and I took them off but the lens would not come off. I tried a little force but was afraid to use a lot of force because I don't know if this is the way or not.

I guess the first thing to know is do I go from the front or back on this?

Thanks in advance and in the mean time I will won't drive at night.

Reply to
ez24

I just peeked at the arrangement in my Tacoma pickup, but it's not typical of other Toyotas I've had in the past. Mine's got a plastic "cup" with a tab on top, and the inscription "Pull Top Out". In previous Toyotas, I'd pull the plug (which you've done already), and what was left was a plastic thing that you'd turn about 1/4 turn, and it would then separate from the metal housing by pulling straight out. They had a bayonet-style fastening system. There's tension on them because of an O-ring which serves to seal out moisture, so you have to press the plastic thing forward to relieve the tension, and then turn it. There's usually some dirt buildup in there which makes them harder to turn.

Just a guess, but probably a good one!

Don't mess with the lens. Otherwise, you may misalign the thing and end up with one light pointing in a stupid direction. Then, other drivers will want to kill you.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The lens only comes off once so put those clips back on ;-)

The bulb is removed and installed from the rear of the headlight assembly. The bulb is held in place with a plastic ring. The ring has raised numbs to make it easier to grip. Unplug the socket from the back of the bulb and turn the ring counter-clockwise to unlock the ring, then pull the ring and bulb straight back towards the firewall. Over time, the ring tends to get stuck and may take a fair amount of force to unstick. Do not touch the glass part of the replacement bulb with your bare hands or let any dirt, grease, or oil get on it because the bulb's life will be reduced significantly. If you already touched the glass, wipe it clean with rubbing alcohol and use a clean cloth or paper towel if you have to handle the glass.

Reply to
Ray O