headlights on 2006 corolla

Daytime lights on 2006 corolla turn on just fine when the engine is turned on. At night when the headlight switch is turned on the headlights are supposed to brighten and dim when the switch is turned to off. Lights on this car stay at the same intensity whether the switch is on or off. Sounds like a switch problem. Any other ideas out there?

-- Message posted using

information at

normie

That is the way it should function. The light sensor controls, whether you have the switch in off (being auto) or on. You can not normally turn off the headlights, so even in darkness with the switch in off (auto) the headlights will be bright.

I think that it explains it in your owners manual..

Reply to
user

What a nasty feature. How are teenagers supposed to sneak into parks at night & neck in the car if the damned headlights stay on by themselves???

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

LOL! I think that it said on the window sticker options listed as "Spousal Trust Verification Safety Package".

Reply to
user

Unless I'm reading this wrong, I think they're working correctly.

You can manually turn them to the "on" position - for instance, if it's raining but it's not particularly dark outside & you need full headlights. But in the "off" position they're daytime running lights - until it's dark enough that they automatically (via the light sensor on the top of the dash) turn on to full headlights.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Is there a way to completely override the automation, so if you want the engine running, but lights OFF, even if it's dark outside?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You're right. It's to keep those who think driving with them on low at night "looks cool".

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Cut the wires. (Use a relay if you ever want them to come back on)

;)

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

What a lame feature. Jeez....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Don't know - never thought about it/tried.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I'm 50/50 on it. Having daytime running lights increases the chance you'll be seen. (It's why states have actual LAWS requiring motorcycles to leave their lights on all the time) and why some states require that lights be on while the wipers are on. But if you want to drive with your lights off down a nice dark street so you can't see and can't be seen, daytime running lights are a pain.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

At my favorite boat launch, there are 4 ramps. At night, when people back their trailers down to retrieve their boats, most of them turn off their headlights, because now the tow vehicle is tipped upward, so their headlights blind the next person trying to back their trailer in at the next ramp.

Toyota should add a simple feature: A button you can press that gives you 5 minutes of no automation, and then resets to the default.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If its like my Camry (2002) if you put the parking brake on before starting the engine, the daytime lights will not turn on until you release the parking brake. However the Camry light switch is marked , OFF, ON, and AUTO.

Slim

Reply to
Slim Pickings

There are times when it is not only a good idea but required for you to turn off your headlights. Railroad yards and right-of-way are just two examples. According to railroad safety requirements, the only vehicle allowed to have lighted headlights are vehicles on the tracks. All others HAVE to have their lights off in the daytime.

There aren't too many left but they are starting to make a come back, drive-in movies. It is considered rude to have your headlights on in a drive-in movie theater, parking lights only when entering or exiting.

I'm sure I can come up with other reasons why there should be a way to disable DRL but these will do for now.

BTW. When my ex-employer started installing DTR on their trucks, accidents and near misses went up not down. My personal experience with both motorcycles and 4 wheel vehicles is that other drivers consider lighted headlights in the daytime as an invitation to pull out in front of you.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:T7whj.1833$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Yes. The dealer has a TSB which describes how to turn the automatic lights off. The TSB number is EL011-00. I can email it to you if you wish.

Toyota issued the TSB to address the very many complaints from customers who didn't like not having the ability to control their own lights.

Reply to
Tegger

Yes, I'd appreciate a copy of that. Does it cover current models, too? 2007, in other words?

The email address you see is a valid one.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:xvyhj.1845$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Check your email.

I don't know how far up it goes. It's the latest one I've got. If you present this to your dealer, they should be able to easily check for any updates to it.

Reply to
Tegger

Got it. Thanks very much.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I would like a copy of that please. The e-mail address is correct, just remove the dots and the word 'extradots'.

Thanks Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Retired VIP wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: