Help ! 4runner electrical

I have an '88 4runner. Went out to start it yesterday and all I got was a click sound that seemed to come from the right side of the engine compartment. The radio, rear window, and the dreadful key-buzzer sound all work fine. Battery looks old but has clean posts. SO I tried starting it some more and just got the "click". Drive or neutral, no difference.

Borrowed a car and ran some errands, then came back and thought I'd try to move the 4runner to where I could jump it. These things are heavy and it's sitting on uneven ground so after a few rocks back and forth I gave up.

Then I tried to start it again and it turned over very weakly and then started right up !

So...it doesn't make any sense that this is a battery problem, a dead battery does not come to life. Any ideas ?

Thank you. (Sorry for the cross-post, it's out of desperation)

Reply to
roger61611

Sounds like an intermittent electrical contact: loose, dirty &c.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

The solenoid on your starter is bad. The click was it trying to engage. Try wacking the starter with a wood stick, while a friend turns the key, and see if it engages.

The solenoid is part of the starter.

Also have your alternator checked for output. If your battery isn't fully charging then it underpowers the starter.

If you have a 22R in your forerunner, the starter motor has to come out through the passenger side wheel well. There is a panel that comes off to allow access.

Starter motors cost around $90.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

It's most likely the power contacts in the starter solenoid - where the battery cable bolts to the back of the starter. Easily replaceable, the parts are under $10, and your local Dealer Parts Counter /should/ stock them. Whether they /do/ is another thing...

Any good starter shop stocks the contacts and can swap them out for you on the bench for a nominal fee. Take the whole starter motor in, and they can check it over for other potential problems like worn bearings or brushes - if it doesn't need rebuilding, don't.

And till then, just keep trying. Click. Click. Start.

But check the battery cables and posts for clean and tight connections first. A battery going bad can cause odd stuff, too, but this sounds much more like the contacts.

How old is the battery? Batteries are perishable just from elapsed time, if it's out of warranty, it can develop an open cell and go dead suddenly at any time. And if it goes open and makes an arc across the cracked spot inside, it can make a hydrogen explosion and pop the top off the battery.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thank you for the responses. I am always impressed that if you find the right group you can get darn good answers.

Battery is an Autotrend Pro-Cell, with a 50-month rating. I just bought my 4Runner a few months ago and it didn't come with any info on the battery. The battery doesn't have anything on it that says when it was made. Posts look ok.

The Autotrend Pro-Cell was distributed by Wholesale Merchandisers of Grand Rapids, which is Meijer stores.

When the rain lets up I will get underneath and see about that starter/solenoid.

[I used to drive old Fords (Fairlane and Mustang) and the solenoids were right on the fender well, you could replace one in no time. Which helped since the electricals on old Fords rivaled those of the British manufacturers.]
Reply to
roger61611

Ford - fix or repair daily.

Not sure i know of any GB cars that have electrical problems, except maybe the early new-model rangerovers or TVRs?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I used to have a MGB. Probably the biggest POS I EVER owned. I spent more time under the hood than in the drivers seat. It had a Lucas electrical system. When I finally had to bring it into the shop, the mechanic would say "Oh yeah, Lucas-- the price of darkness".

Alas, I knew Lucas all too well having had the headlights go out on me twice at 55 mph.

I do own an 89 4 by 4 sr5 pickup. It had all the symptoms that the original poster stated. It WAS a bad battery. Once replaced and equipped with new terminals all was well.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

One way to check the battery is to turn on the headlights and have someone watch them when you try to start the car. If they go out while starting, then the battery or connections are the culprit.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Nope, no known GB cars with electrical problems... :>))

TOM

I experienced similar problems with a '97 Camry I have, and it ended up that it was not the solenoid or relay, but there was a flat spot on the armature of the starter motor itself. yes, it took a new starter to solve the problem. I'd start by removing the starter itself and having it tested for flaws. Good luck!

Reply to
mack

Thanks for the link Tom. I had a good laugh. Believe me I wasn't laughing over 30 years ago at the "Prince of Darkness." or at the British Leyland Group.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

I had a 'bug eye' Austin Healy Sprite....I feel your and my pain...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I also owned an Austin America. Cute little car a little more reliable than the MGB. But also painful.

Oh the dreaded Twin SU carbs!!! Sisters to the Prince of Darkness.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

OMG yes....

...but they were sweet when working correctly

I never got my dream car at the time

The big Austin Healy 3000

Scott in Florida

I was thinking modern cars guys n gals, not back in the days when we had hamsters running round in the rear diff to keep it going.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

yepyepyep

Reply to
xds

I had similar problem with 90 Surf (Japanese 4Runner). After much troubleshooting is turned out to be an intermittent bad cell in the battery. New battery fixed it.

Reply to
Bubba