HELP! 93 Supra won't start!?

My 93 Supra has been sitting for a couple months because I had a tire problem (long story) anyway go out to start it today...nothing. It won't even try to turn over, turn the key and its dead silence?? I'm looking in the manuals for the car and are following the steps on what to do if the car doesnt crank. I replaced the starter, which i thought was bad...failed all six tests!But that wasn't it! The battery is fine, I checked all the fuses, all fine. I think it could be my alarm. I don't want to have it taken to the dealer it would be big bucks! So i'm trying to figure this problem out on my own. I'm in the Nj area so if anyone knows someone who could help me please let me know. I have to get the car running as soon as possible so if anyone knows what could be wrong with it please let me know!! Thanks a lot!

Reply to
KraziSupra93

Have you tried giving the car a jump or charging the battery with an external charger?

If you don't have one, invest in a volt/ohm meter or at the very least, a test light.

First measure battery voltage - it should be over 12 volts.

Look at the battery cables and clamps - are they clean and tight?

Measure the voltage between the positive terminal on the starter and ground while someone tries cranking with the key. You should have 12 volts or a brightly lit test light.

If that doesn't work, check the starter relay and see if 12 volts are coming out when the key is engaged. While you're at it, check all fuses and fusible links.

If that doesn't work, check the ignition switch.

Reply to
Ray O

Neutral safety switch? - silly and obvious question, but is it in Park or clutch in if manual trans?

Reply to
Gordo

That would be my guess...

Here's an interesting situation. I have an '85 Corolla GTS, an '85 Celica GTS and on the lot we have an '87 Supra.

The Corolla needs to have the clutch depressed to start the car. The other two don't. But, I know the complete history of the Corolla; the other two I don't (I know the original owner of the Celica and bought it from his grandson)

Reply to
hachiroku

OK, take the key, stick it into the pas sside door lock and unlock it, even if its already unlocked and report back.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

WHAT?!?!!!...you're scaring me now!...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

The car has a standard factory theft deterrent system that is unarmed by unlocking the door with either the key or wireless transmitter. If the window were broken or left in the down position and you reached in and unlocked the door without the key or transmitter, the car won't start.

MDT Tech has a better memory than me, remembering that little bit of trivia.

Reply to
Ray O

Ahhh!...(a light blinks on) :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Gord, stick with me here! ;D

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Rays memeory is good. Of course, I'm sure Gary Burntmore knenw this. And I've seen the drivers side lock detection switch fail from all the use, so opening the drivers door will set the alarm off, then they insert the key into the ignition and it silences the horn, but the starter is still defeated. So assuming it went off from a failed drivers door lock cylinder is why I told ghim to use the pass side. Of course, Gary Boremore knows this too.

Reply to
MDT Tech®