Help! Engine swap on -86 celica

I'm swapping the old NA engine Gen 1 (3s-ge) to a 2nd generation turbo engine (3s-gte) and i have a automatic transmission in the car. Is this even possible? How will the transmission work with the turbo engine? Transmission is ECT, so there are some wires going to the ECU. what are these wires?

Reply to
THT

I'm not sure of the trans model used with the NA or the Turbo engines, but my GUESS would be that you're lookiing for trouble.

Try Googling the two models and looking for tranny info. I would install a

5 speed...
Reply to
Hachiroku

The Celica Turbo sold in the U.S. was only offered with all wheel drive and a manual transmission.

Besides the engine, you will probably also need to install the proper engine ECU - plan on $1500 to $2500 for a new one.

The wires from the transmission ECU is to provide input from the engine ECU. Since the ECU for the turbo was not designed to work with a transmission ECU, you will have to figure out a way to get inputs for that info for the trans ECU. You will need to provide transmission output shaft RPM, engine RPM, throttle position, and coolant temp info to the tranny ECU.

Good luck (you will need a lot of it, along with a lot of money)

Reply to
Ray O