help, I think the fuel pump died on my 2000 celica Gt

I?m not sure but I think it maybe the fuel pump but today I got in the car and as long as my foot was on the accelerator it was ok then take my foot off and the car dies? Please help

Reply to
tagurit73

I doubt if the fuel pump is bad.

By any chance, does the car have a K&N or other "high performance" air filter?

Check the MAF sensor - if the tube that protrudes into the air stream appears to be oily or greasy, carefully clean the inside with carburetor cleaner.

Check the idle air control valve to make sure it moves freely.

If both the MAF sensor and IAC valve are both gummed up, I would bet that the car has an aftermarket air filter and/or has a problem with the PCV valve.

If the MAF sensor and IAC valve are OK, then temporarily disconnect and plug the vacuum hoses to the EGR valve and see if the problem clears up. If it does, the EGR valve may be stuck open. You can try cleaning the inside of the EGR valve or just replace it.

Reply to
Ray O