HELP! Problems with my 2007 Camry SE V6

This is weird. My family took a trip overseas for one month and when we returned the car is shot.

First it's the usual low battery, ok no problem, I jump started it.

But big problems when I tried to drive it. First the check engine light when on right away after the ignition is on. Then as I drive around my community the VSC and "car slippery" lights are on and I notice the suspensions are having some weird grumbling sounds.

Any help are greatly appreciated. The car was totally fine when we left it.

2007 Toyota Camry SE V6, 40,000 miles.

VSC and "car slippery" light on. Hear grumbling hard-spinning sounds from all 4 suspensions (wheels)

Thanks!

Reply to
Doctor Chen

Warranty still in effect, or is it gone at 36K?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Its unusual for a new car to have a dead battery. Are you sure you did not leave any lights on? have it checked by the dealer. If I were you, I would remove the battery terminals and inspect the connection.

Reply to
EdV

It's not a totally dead battery but the engine wouldn't start until I added jumper.

But this doesn't explain why all of a sudden my car has 'check engine' and VSC problem.

Reply to
Doctor Chen

Gone. Figures problems always started right after the warranty is gone.

Reply to
Doctor Chen

That still has to be under powertrain warranty right?

Reply to
EdV

The dealer did some warranty work for my neighbor's Toyota at 40-something-K miles. Good public relations, I guess. I don't recall what it was though. Never hurts to ask.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My guess is the ECU got screwed up when the batteries were unusually draining. I'm thinking removing the batteries will kinda reset the memory, maybe its just some glitch. By the way, How was the car parked? garaged? open air? snow covered during the last snow storm? did you develop any "soft" spot in your tires and the VSC detects something wrong with the traction. I would also drive it around, in a safe area of course, before going to the dealer, just maybe the car can revive itself first. These are just guesses just to eliminate some suspects.

Reply to
EdV

'Car slippery'...?

I'd bet 35 % of toyota dealers would honor warranty at 40k..

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

It may be as simple as a frozen (rusted) brake pad causing VSC hiccups. Or you need to disconnect the battery and "reset" the ECU. But have the check-engine code read by a local auto parts store for free. Call around for one with OBD-II/CAN reader.

The owners of the follow> This is weird. My family took a trip overseas for one month and when

Reply to
johngdole

When the warranty on the powertrain and emmissions warranties are 5 years or 60,000 mi or more, I bet more than 35% cover the problem.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

When the ignition switch is turned on, check that the ABS warning light, VSC warning light, BRAKE warning light and SLIP indicator light come on for approximately 3 seconds.

If the skid control computer stores any trouble codes, the ABS warning light, VSC warning light and SLIP indicator light come on.

You most likely have a fault in the skid control computer (P1578). The brake actuator is made on it as a unit and is mounted under the hood.

Are you sure that you are not hearing the VSC warning buzzer?

If there is a fault in this system, it should disable the cruise control, check it to see.

Are you certain that when you jumped it, the connections were correct and not accidentally touched or connected to the battery in reverse?

You can try disconnecting the battery to try and clear trouble codes but since this is on the brake system, it's a real safety issue and you really need to take this to someone knowledgeable, preferably the Toyota dealer you purchased it from, for professional diagnosis and repair.

Reply to
user

Did ANYONE have access to the keys when you were gone?

Reply to
sharx35

I'm not really sure what you mean by "car slippery" lights, but it could be an indication that the VSC system is sensing that the car is in a skid and the VSC computer is trying to correct the skid but can't so it illuminated the VSC warning light. The grumbling sounds are probably a result of debris or rust buildup on the rotors from having been parked in a humid environment for a while, or it could be the VSC applying the brakes in an attempt to control the skid that it is incorrectly sensing.. If this is the case, a few applications of the brakes should make the sounds go away. Check to make sure there is no debris caught behind the wheels and make sure the tires are properly inflated.

I would go to a place like Autozone and borrow an OBD II code scanner an pull trouble codes. It is possible that there is a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors, but you usually also get and ABS trouble light as well.

Let us know what codes, if any come up and if a few applications of the brakes solve the problem.

Reply to
Ray O

Ok, after driven around (street and highway) I notice the brake sound is minimal (the rust is gone, so that's good), but the grumbling caused by the VSC is still there when I brake. I think somone is right when they say the car incorrectly senses the car going slippery and tries to fix it.

Also, one more clue, I notice I'm not getting any oil pressure on the oil meter even though I'm driving for a good 10 min. on the road including highway.

Reply to
Doctor Chen

If there really was no oil pressure, you'd would've killed your car by now. You really do need to stop driving this vehicle and get it to the dealer ASAP. If you already had an excellent independent mechanic, that would be an option, but in my opinion, this is not the time to go shopping for one.

There's no point in your asking any further questions, or trying to diagnose the problem yourself. You don't have to skill to fix anything.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Or there could be damage that will cause the car to die in a few months.

I concur.

Well, if he needs a new engine, this will be quite a learning experience for him.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Check your dipstick, it may just be a faulty meter.

Reply to
EdV

Yet, even if the engine has the required amount of oil, the oil pump might not be working.

However, has the OP shown enough skill or knowledge to even check the dipstick?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well, just my hunch, because I'm thinking a faulty oil pump because of sitting for a month? The way I see it an oil pump is mechanical and not electronic (am I right on this?) The gauge however is electronic and may have been affected by the dead battery.

Reply to
EdV