Help re determining location in rear cargo area of 06 4runner to secure a security cable / box

'Looking for suggestions and recommendations for a (the?) location to use as an attachment or holding point for a cable that will secure a KOBALT security box into the rear cargo area of a Toyota (2006) 4 runner.

We do need the security of the box, with no real trunk in the 4runner, and one break in already having taken place.

It looks like my husband could use the 20 foot long Master locking cable (very strong) and sortof thread it through 2,3 or 4 holes drilled into the back of the security box. The cable and box are purchased.

My help request is with regards to WHERE in the 4runner that the cable could be looped through / around so as to keep it from being able to be removed from the car. An alternative is a large eye loop (which we have) which would strongly secure into the floor of the 4 runner.

Not being at all professional about locations and where to drill or not drill we are looking for some advice. Perhaps any good center spot in the floor will accept a drilling, perhaps that is a bad idea. He would, with the eye loop approach, have to go under the car to tighten the washered nut, as an additional thought.

Suggestions or recommendations ?

Thanks , VJ

Reply to
Barry

Can you somehow attach it to a seat mounting point on the floor? Seats aren't that easy to remove, especially the front ones.

Reply to
dbu.,

Once access is gained a cable can be easily cut,torched, or frozen and broken. If you don't have to remove the box and it is made of steel, I would run a couple weld beads on each side of the box to the floor of the truck. Make the appropriate modifications to the carpet for a clean looking installation. If you have to be able to remove the box, make absolutely sure by measuring that you are not going to drill holes through any component(s) that is below the floor. I would use the eye bolts so no outside infiltration of the elements can enter the interior of the vehicle, and as short a cable as you can. You do not want the box to become a flying object that injures occupants in a panic stop or crash . You can easily beef up the floor metal by using large fender washers or steel plate with drilled holes the size of the eye bolts you are using. Create your installation with the idea that anyone but you trying to remove the box will incur a great deal of time spent. Anything that takes up a lot of time is a thief's worst enemy.

Reply to
user

Thanks much, we have scrapped the cable approach and will now go with the bolt through the floor approach. One idea is to go to an independent Toyota shop and have him put it up on the lift and we can do the drilling there. He would presumably know where the dangerous spots are for drilling. I would pass on the eye bolts as the standard carriage type bolts could come up through the floor and be secured from inside the Kobalt case with simple nuts, in that the case would be locked. We are still in progress and welcome further postings and suggestions, but we wanted to thank ph boy quickly. VJ

Reply to
Barry

If you decide to drill the floor, make sure you touch up the edges of the hole where the paint is broken to prevent rust. If you decide to use carriage bolts, use a carriage bolt washer with the square hole, then a larger fender washer or plate to prevent the bolts from pulling through as ph@Boy suggested, and then a piece of rubber between the washers and the undercarriage so that the paint is not abraded.

A simpler approach may be to get a cargo cover, available at your local Toyota dealer, to hide whatever is stored in the cargo area.

Reply to
Ray O