help with echo rear wheel hub removal

Hi all, would like some advice with my '02 echo rear wheel bearing. I've removed the 4 bolts from the back and the drum and hit the hub with a rubber mallet. I then put the wheel back on (and kicked it!) and it still wouldn't budge. Any ideas?? Thanks, JP.

Reply to
john bos

Those four bolts on the back only hold the brake backing plate. You don't mention the nut on the end of the axle shaft that holds the hub on the axle...

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I'm trying to picture it, and I think you may be in the wrong place. The bolts on the back are for the drum backing plate. Toyotas rear bearings bolt in from the front. If you take the drum off and shine a light through the holes in the hub flange, you should see four bolts. I'm pretty sure those are the hub fasteners.

Reply to
qslim

Did you try releasing the parking brake? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Thanks; The bolts from the back go through the axle mount, then the backing plate, and thread into the cast iron bearing housing. Does the cap at the back need to be removed to get it out? removing nut or whatever? Has anyone been successful in rebuilding one of these rather then spend ($259. each).

Reply to
bosman

it rotates ok: thanks

Reply to