high mileage oil--is it worth it?

I have a 2000 Sienna with 80K miles that has a slight oil leak at head cover gasket. Also a 1997 Camry 4 with 105K miles with no leaks but had engine rebuilt at 60K miles. Both engines call for 5W-30 oil and I just want to get my oil by the case from now on.

I am considering the high mileage oil by Valvoline or another name brand. Is this something that will harm the engines in any way and is there really any benefit towards using it?

Reply to
badgolferman

Had to rebuild a Camry at 60K? You're doing SOMETHING wrong!

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Supposedly it has something in it to cause the seals to expand --- so once you start using it you have to keep using it. On a Toyota 80k is NOT high mileage. I'd wait until you get 140k to use it. Just buy a case of quality oil when its on sale. Rebuild at 60K? Due to head gasket or not changing oil frequently enough?

Reply to
Wolfgang

It wasn't me. I bought it at 60K from dealer. It was smoking upon startup. They replaced piston rings, valve seals, and the bearing of the piston arm (term escapes me).

Reply to
badgolferman

That type of damage can be cause by using too heavy of an oil in very cold weather. It can take so long to pump that eventually damage to the rings and bearings can take place. The valve seals? Not so sure.

Cheap oil can also do this.

But to answer your question, modern long life oils , such as the new Mobil 1 Extended oil, contain extra concentrations of cleaners, etc., and indeed can last and last; but that does not help if you take very short trips in cool to cold weather. In that case frequent oil changes are still mandatory because the water formation leads to acid formation.

Not all extended change oils have additives that swell seals.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

She had a point in directing me elsewhere for the test.

This thread is two months old. Are you just getting around to reading it? Catch up, Tom!

Scott's posts are anooying but don't leave out Learning Richard either.

Reply to
badgolferman

disregard this message. It was directed to another post.

Reply to
badgolferman

This is, IMHO, an old wives tale. Switching back and forth causes no harm. JP

On a Toyota 80k is NOT high

Reply to
Bassplayer12