High pitch noise when I start my car

Hey all,

I have a 95 Geo Prizm. Recently, I had this problem with my car. When I started it, it will give me high-pitch noise from the hood. When I turn on the light, the noise is louder. After I run it for a few mins, the noise will be gone.

Anyone has similar problem?

Thanks for all suggestions!

Reply to
tonylee via CarKB.com

Did Toyota start making Geos?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Well, sort of...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sounds like a belt to me...

Reply to
Hachiroku

at 08:04 PM

Sounds like a slipping belt to me. Is'nt Prizm the one that's basicly a Corolla?

Reply to
hbuck

"tonylee via CarKB.com" wrote in news:55fef676fc0f0@uwe:

1) Loose belt 2) Alternator failing.

Is this "high-pitch" noise an extremely loud squeal, or is it more like a hum?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Dunno - I'm asking *you*

LOL

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Wickeddoll®" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.evilcabal.org:

The Prizm was made on the same line as the Corolla at the Fremont, CA plant.

Toyota and GM have a joint venture there (NUMMI). That line currently makes the Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe.

The Prizm was originally a Chevrolet, but GM likes to nym-shift, the way Mike Hunt does, so they can get past peoples' crap-car filters.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Ah - thanks

Natalie, enlightened

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Yes. I know because I have a 95 Prizm myself. Just about everything under the hood has "Toyota" printed on it.

Reply to
Truckdude

Thanks TeGGeR.

It's more like a loud sequeal. If the speed is above 10mph, even I just started, I couldn't hear it. Also after a few minutes, no noise at all. Besides, the noise is not always there.

It seems to me the noise is from the Alternator. Does it mean Alternator is broken?

thanks!

TeGGeR® wrote:

Reply to
tonylee via CarKB.com

"tonylee via CarKB.com" wrote in news:56020b3ce4290@uwe:

Then the belt is slipping on the alternator pulley. Tighten it or replace if glazed/cracked.

Your alternator is fine.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Reply to
hbuck

What Hbuck said (Thanks, BTW) - I guess this critter thinks you have to know every bloody thing about every bloody Toyota in order to participate in the NG...

Wotta maroon

Natalie, scraping another one off her shoe

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"dragon" <

No, what's weird is some lurker chiming in with a flame against someone who has done them no harm, rather than some useful information or at least some humor.

As far as I know, being knowledgeable about every single model of Toyota is not a requirement for posting to the group. Perhaps you have more information on that subject, since you know everything.

Natalie, wiping the excess sarcasm off her keyboard

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Sounds like a loose fan belt to me.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The Geo Prism is essentially a Corolla. The Geo Metro was built by Suzuki.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Could be the cat.

Reply to
wws

You mean the one sleeping on the engine when she started it?

Reply to
Hachiroku