Highlander gas gauge acting strangely, then failing low

In my 2002 Highlander Limited V6 with 140,000 miles, the gas gauge first seemed to drop far faster than it was supposed to, then on a fill didn't go all the way up to full (stopped at about just above 3/4 full).

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer (also resetting a check engine and VSC warning light), reconnected the battery, and started up the Highlander -- but the needle now is failed low with the low fuel light on despite a full tank of gas.

Any ideas what might cause this? What a solution might be? And how much it might potentially cost to repair?

Bud H

Reply to
Bud H

The sensor for the low fuel light and the fuel level sender are separate devices, so I would suspect a loose connector somewhere or a blown fuse. Check all of the fuses and check at the fuel tank and work your way forward.

Reply to
Ray O

Manky sender at the tank end of things?

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Check the ground wire of the sending circuit. Sometimes they become corroded at the point of connection, usually the frame. A bad connection can indicate a false or no reading depending on circuit design. It might be a good idea to check all grounds including the computer and battery. You didn't mention where you drive the vehicle but I've seen incredibly advanced terminal corrosion on vehicles exposed to an ocean atmosphere. Good luck.

Reply to
user