Highlander radio Problems

The radio in my 2002 Highlander has decreased it's sensitivity to Am stations and possiblt FM as well. Has anyone experienced this? Where is the antenna connection to the radio? Can it come unplugged?

Thanks

Jim Uerlings

Reply to
Jim Uerlings

The antenna connection is at the back of the radio. Has the sensitivity gone down on all AM and FM stations or just certain ones?

Have you tried cleaning the antenna?

Reply to
Ray O

If it is more noticable on AM than FM it is probably the ground. Can you wiggle the base of the antenna at all? you'd have to get in there and tighten it up.

In all the Toyotas I have owned, this has been the case...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't have an external antenna. I think it is part of the windshield. Am I wrong on that?

Reply to
Jim Uerlings

Yeah, you're right! It is in the back side window on the pass side of the vehicle. Since that is the easiest connection to check, I'd start there.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Where is the connection, under the dash?

Reply to
Jim Uerlings

Well, the connector at the antenna itself is probably visible at the um, let's see, bottom? Top? of the printed ckt printed on the back side glass. It may be hidden by the interior panels, but I believe it is visible. it looks like a connector with a tab on it, and a black plastic connector with a wire that dissapears behind the panel. If you have kids or a dog they may have knocked this askew. The other connector is in the dash, at the back side of the radio; you're going to have to remove the radio to get to it.

Whatever BE CAREFUL!!!! that printed circuit on the back glass is delicate and if scratched your reception will go away. This may actually be what your problem is.

Actually, if the thing is still under warranty, I would take it in and have it looked at. You, yourself, break that connection at the back window and you're screwed. i'll bet it's at least $300 to replace that back glass, maybe even $450 or more! And I'm sorry, but I can't help you on the dash; I just don't remember it that well (and I, uh, got fired today, so i don't think I'll be seeing another one soon...) From knowing how Toys are built, i would look for two screws on the bottom of the radio face plate, and/or two where the ash tray/storage compartment is, and then look again, and then pry the plastic faceplate VERY gently with a plastic tool to remove, and this will expose the radio. Undo the bolts holding it in and it will slide out.

Reply to
Hachiroku