Highlander windshield wiper mechanism problem

Anyone had this problem:

2002 Highlander driver's wiper failed, passenger side OK. Toyota dealer wants over $300 (Canadian) to replace mechanism that links wiper motor to arm. Won't do this under extended warranty. Not easy to see what's going on from outside, so had to ask dealer to fix. Seems exorbitant for a modest mechanical part that should be durable.
Reply to
jeremyh

If you want instructions on how to take the cowl off, I'll post them for you. It's pretty simple.

Reply to
qslim

yes, please, that would help for next time..... problem was we were stranded in pouring rain late at night, which wasn't the best moment to explore how to get at the mechanism.

Reply to
jh

First you remove the wipers with a 14mm socket and a whack of the palm. Then take off the weatherstrip by detaching it from several clips held from underneath. Then, there are two round plastic pop rivets, one on each side of the cowl, and those are disengaged by pressing in the center with a small screwdriver. Now the cowl will remove in two halves, exposing the wiper linkage and motor. Thats it, and the process is pretty much the same for all late model toyotas.

Reply to
qslim