Higlander non-hybrid: vinegar smell?

My 2006 non-hybrid V6 AWD Highlander seems to have lately emitted a smell that I can only describe as vinegar. Anyone experience this "smell" and what do you attribute it to? Time to take it in I guess - can any place work on and fix this or am I better served by the dealership?

Thanks. Walter

Reply to
Walter Cohen

"Walter Cohen" wrote in news:t2UQi.884$l% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

Emitted from where? The tailpipe or the interior?

Reply to
Tegger

If the smell is inside, it may me mold in your ac duct or filter.

Reply to
Roy

Or even something as simple as someone spilling something with vinigar as an ingredient. MickyDee's salad maybe? It doesn't take very much and it doesn't evaporate without leaving an odor.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

From the outside of the car. Then it migrated into the car when stopped.

Reply to
Walter Cohen

"Walter Cohen" wrote in news:qO1Ri.11$tO.1 @newsfe12.lga:

Might it also be described as a "rotten egg" smell? If so, then your catalytic converter didn't like the last batch of gas you bought. Fill up at a different brand of station next time.

Reply to
Tegger

It could be the exhaust as Tegger mentioned, but you may want to check the battery area. Look for acid (chemical) scorch marks, blistered paint, above it on the metal hood. What you may be smelling is a battery being cooked by over voltage, producing hydrogen gas. Hydrogen gas is EXPLOSIVE so be careful. I have seen this before, mostly on two battery systems, and when the battery really gets hot it stinks quite badly. Unfortunately, if it is this, battery(s) replacement, along with charging system repairs is the only fix. Is your '06 Highlander under warranty?

Reply to
user

It would appear your it Highlander is operating outside of the microprocessors design parameters, allowing unburned fuel to reach the cat. Since you vehicle is apparently still under warranty take it to a dealership, WBMA

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have yet to find the source but now it has just about gone away.

Walter

Reply to
Walter Cohen