Hmmm...a bargain?

The battery in my Supra finally gave up this week. I guess running the

700 watts of stereo while painting the house last weekend was too much for a battery of unknown age (I'm guessing ~ 8 years...)

I looked up batteries on-line. I could get a genuine Toyota battery that would probably outlast the car for ~$70-85, or a Duralast for ~$77. At that price my thought was to just get the Toyota, made by Exide, which is owned by Yuasa, and be done.

Forgetting the battery, I took the cover off the Supra this AM and...nothing. Oh, yeah! I forgot! Jump it and over to AutoZone.

New battery on the rack for $76.99. Hmmmm...I turn around and there is a near-new battery on the rack behind me. The date code said 2005. $19.95.

Thirty day money back, 90 day pro-rated. Long as it makes it this summer, I'm good!

Reply to
hachiroku

You probably have lower crank amps and reserve capacity with the $19.99. If you don't mind then I agree it's a good deal.

I personally don't care for Exide/Yuasa batteries. I prefer GM Delco maintenance-free first, then the Johnson Controls second (also branded as Walmart, Autozone etc etc. higher capacity ones for about $45

Reply to
johngdole

I did a post about Yuasa batteries a long time ago in this group. If you have had a Toyota prior to about 1983-5, then you remember the 'green' batteries. I had 4 Toyotas with 'green' batteries and never had a problem with them! On my 5 year old 1980 Corolla SR5, I went to leave for work and the car wouldn't start. I popped the top off the green battery and noticed the cells were almost dry! I put some water in it and got a ride to work.

When I got home, I figured I'd try to start it and get to a dealer or a parts store and get a new battery. The car was on just enough of an incline to bump start it. Before I did, just for laughs, I turned the key. The car fired right up. The battery lasted for another year when I traded it.

I never had to replace a green battery, and they were made by Yuasa.

When I got my Hachiroku, it had a Panasonic battery. Two years later a cell shorted and sprayed acid all over the hood. I think I replaced it with a Toyota battery, but not a Panasonic.

Forward to 1999. That battery dead (it was replaced in 1989!) I replaced it with another Toyota battery. That battery is currently doing service in my '89 Mazda. It's 9 years old! Toyota batteries are made by Exide, and can you guess who owns Exide? ;)

2006, I buy my '05 Scion tC. Two months later a cell shorts in the Panasonic battery, but at least it doesn't spray acid on the hood. Replaced by dealer with a Toyota battery, made by Exide...

Needless to say, I won't be buying Panasonic batteries. Autozone batteries made in the US are made in Pennsylvania. Let's see if you can guess what bettery company is in Penn...

Reply to
Hachiroku