How can I find ignition switch harness in 2000 Corolla?

I purchased a remote starter system kit (bulldog security, RS1100) for my 2000 Corolla. I never experienced any eletric job like this. So it looked extermely difficult to do all wiring job. Fortunately, the same company sells a T-harness that makes the wiring job easy. One of main job I should do is to disconnect the ingitioin switch harness and connect it on the T-harness. But when I open knee bolster of my car I could not find it. At the left side, there was a box fixed on the car where many harness were connected. I tried to connect one of them on T-harness I purchased but nothing fit.

Underneath the steering wheel, there was a cover that I could not remove (presumably this may be steering column). Through the gap that the cover made, I thought I saw one that looked like ignition switch harness (I guess from a website). But I could not reach it. Could someone tell me that this is what I am looking for? Then, how can I open the cover. There was a screw underneath the cover. I could unscrew this. However, in addition, there seems to be screw between the cover and steering wheel, which I don't know how to unscrew.

I intially believed that it would be easy to install the remote starter. But I almost regret buying that stuff. Please help me!

Reply to
jwsohn

There should be 2 screws holding the steering column cover in place between he cover and the steering wheel. To get at the screws, turn the steering wheel 90 degrees. DO NOT MESS WITH ANY BRIGHT YELLOW WIRES!!!!!!! The bright yellow wires are for the supplemental restraint system, commonly referred to as the air bag. Besides the indignity of facial injuries if it deploys, a replacement air bag is pretty expensive and costs more than what you would have paid a technician to install the remote starter.

For $10/day, you can get online access to the factory repair manual and wiring diagrams at techinfo.toyota.com.

Reply to
Ray O

Thank you so much, Ray. With your help, I tried to install the remoter starter in the evening. There was only one extra connection on top of the ignition switch for the installation. I thought I did it correctly. But the system did not work. So I will get technical help from the company where I purchase the remoter starter tomorrow.

I did not get facial inuires thanks to you (-:).

By the way, could you let me know where the fuse box is? Is that a box to which a lot of switch are connect in the left side of kick panel?

Thanks aga> There should be 2 screws holding the steering column cover in place between

Reply to
plosio

You are welcome!

There are at least 2 fuse boxes, one in the kick panel next to the driver and one in the engine compartment.

Reply to
Ray O