How do you turn off the headlights on a 2005 Toyota Corolla manual?

My friend just got a 2005 Toyota Corolla. The title says it all. For the life of him, he can't figure it out. He says they are automatic and no controls...

I have a very good reason as to why the headlights needs to be shut off at night. It's because of a astronomy club meeting. We have to drive out on a field. The cars lights ruin night vision. Also other people taking night photography. Bright lights are bad and can ruin there image....

"G" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

They are called "Daytime Running Lights", or "DRLs". You're obviously new here, because DRLs are a VERY hot political subject, especially in this group.

I can send you a Toyota TSB on disabling them. If you join the Yahoo group Toyotas_Only (I'm a Moderator), you can see that TSB, as well as two different disablement methods posted by members.

For even more (including the TSB), see the famous "Lights Out" site:

down to TOYOTA, about 2/3 of the way down)

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Bonus: instructions for driving with bald tires and EXTRA bonus: how to disable taillights, signal lights, etc..

Reply to
Sharx35

There's also the "how I got sucked into believing DRLs are a safely feature" section. Tooo funny.

Reply to
FanJet

For something like this, it might just be easiest to pull the fuse(s) on those occasions when you want the lights out, especially if the fuse box is in the passenger compartment. You might try to find a way to make it easy to identify the particular fuse(s) you want to pull (a dot of nail polish or something).

Pop the fuse(s), start up, drive a little way on marker lights until you're clear of the site, then put the fuse(s) back in. The organizers might consider marking the path in and out with those reflectors-on-a-stick.

Or just park a little further away and walk in. Admittedly, not so easy if heavy equipment needs to be carried in and out.

Reply to
dh