How much should I expect to pay for 5K service on a Prius?

Since I've bought my car from one of those "$3000 over MSRP places" (I only paid $500 over so I didn't get hit too bad!), I'm wondering how much they think they'll get away with at service time that's coming up?

I've seen lows in the $40's and then some over $240 saying all this needs to be changed (cabin filters, etc) or special additives tossed in.

Just wondering the going rate, especially in So. California.

Tia.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

I'm not specifically familiar with the Prius. With our Highlander and RAV4, we just get lube-oil-filter at 5K. I see that one of our local dealers has a 5K hand-out sheet that lists everything from a LOF to (virtually) a shoe shine, massage, and day spa for some outrageous price. I don't think all those things are necessary at 5K and 10K. But I don't know about Prius-specific things. In general, you want to look in your owners manual and follow the "severe conditions" schedule.

One of our local dealers is a real rip. He stopped honoring the express lube conditions (30 minutes or free) long ago. The express lube is also supposed to include a 21 point inspection and has traditionally been $30. So now he advertises a LOF for $35, no time guarantee, _and_ no 21 point inspection. I drive further to another dealer who, for $30 does the LOF, the 21 point inspection, and always has it done quickly.

Reply to
ll

Granted that you and I are in different countries, I'd hope your local Toyota dealers (as ours) are willing to answer a few plain questions, such as "when is service needed?" and "how much for a service uncomplicated by the need to fix anything?"

My Prius is supposed to go in for annual checks. They alternate between $$ and $$$$, from year to year, if that helps.

Does your car benefit from a manufacturer warranty? Exploit it.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Instead of going in and asking for the 5K service, I'd suggest that you check your owner's guide and then tell the dealer exactly which services you want. Many dealers create bogus service lists that are far more expensive than the manufactuer recommends. Toyota has the recommended schedule on line at:

I copied the following 5K Service recommendation for a 2005 Prius from the site:

Replace engine oil and oil filter - Footnote 1 Rotate tires Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:

Driving While Towing Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis Driving in Desert or On Dirt Roads Inspect ball joints and dust covers Inspect drive shaft boots Inspect engine air filter Inspect steering linkage and boots Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis

Applicable Footnotes:

1) Reset the oil replacement reminder ("MAINT REQD") light after replacing engine oil, if vehicle is equipped with this light.

So as long as you are just operating the vehicle normally in a reasonably mild climate on paved roads and not towing, the only thing you need, according to Toyota, is an oil change and a tire rotation. While the tires are being rotated, the mechanic should inspect the brakes, but any GOOD honest mechanic would do this with out being asked (or paid to do so). Of course if they see a problem, they will expect to be paid to correct it.

I'd expect to pay a dealer somewhere around $45 to $55 for this service unless I asked that the tires are balance while they are being rotated. With the balancing, the cost is likely to be around $85 - $100. (Taxes not included).

Ed

Reply to
Ed White