How much should I pay for a Scion xA?

I went to the Toyota of Seattle showroom today and asked about a Scion xA basic model with power steering and automatic transmission. The salesperson of course quoted the sticker price of $14,160 plus around

10% tax which would run to approximately $15,600.

I felt it was rather high for a car that small with so few accessories. I ended up telling the sales person that he should give me a better quote as the price was too high. He told me that the price was non-negotiable as Toyota had asked them to sell the car at that price and that he was not getting any commission off it.

Is there anyone who got a 2006 Scion xA automatic transmission car for cheaper than the $15,600 quoted? Please do give me the contact number and address of the dealer gave you that offer and the price you got it for.

Reply to
amitsett

In Seattle your gonna need a more sturdier car than a Toyota Scion. The accident rate is astronomical out there because of all the bad drivers and all the rain.

Consider a VW Jetta which has the 5 star side impact crash test rating. Government Standard.

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Not to mention that the poor road designs in Washington state don't make matters any better for the high accident rates. Seattles roads are so horribly designed/constructed that it's as if some guy on an acid trip had put them together.

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Reply to
amitsett

Just keep shopping around. Try Autotrader.com. Try all the online stores. Check the Internet for prices far away from you. Consider that if you buy an out of state car you might have to shell out hundreds of extra dollars to get it licensed in Washington as opposed to an in-state car.

But I would strongly suggest that you find yourself a more sturdy vehicle for Seattle. Look at those trucks your are competing with. Consider a new Hybrid. There are large Hybrids now, small ones, and medium sized ones.

I have been driving for over 7 years. I have had a CLEAN driving history until one faitful night in downtown Seattle when some jerk decided to run a light. Which so happened to be my FIRST night spent in Seattle. The drivers there are awful. Always cutting everyone off. They never take their turn, nobody follows the "right of way" laws. It's Chaos I'm telling you. Chaos. My past experience with Seattle only goes to show what a bad town it is for driving in. As a matter of fact Seattle has been consistently ranked the top 5 of the worst cities to drive in for the USA. Right above San Francisco, and New York City. There's a reason why your insurance rates are so astronomically high out there in comparison to the rest of the country.

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

I think it was snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com who stated:

A better place to ask this question is

The official policy of Scion is that the dealers sell at MSRP and there is no negotiation.

-- He who laughs last thinks slowest

Reply to
Don Fearn

I bought my Xa at Burien Toyota. It had 9K miles and I paid about 10 thousand. Got all of the service spiffs & warranty. These are good people. I live & drive in the south Sound area and have no complaints about the driving of others, other than the cell phone users. First avenue in a pot hole problem, but it is being worked on. Have a good new year.

Reply to
doc

Too much coffee? (Or has Seattle quit that habit?)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

UGH!!!! He wants something he can DRIVE, not sit in the dealer's waiting room reading magazines!

Best idea VW ever had: The Jetta Trek. Then you had a bicycle you could ride while the car was being serviced.

Hachiroku, Former (and NEVER again) Jetta owner...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Scion was set up as a non-negotiable priced car. You're getting a decent price on Scions. This works because they are in high demand and short supply. For example:

2006 Scion tC Base Invoice Price: $15,485 - $16,245 * Base List Price: $16,300 - $17,100 * 2006 Scion tC Hatchback Coupe 2D Excellent $20,105

This is the price for a USED Scion tC. Why is a USED tC selling for more? Because they CAN! The cars are in short supply, and the dealers can't RAISE prices, either. If this was marketed as a 'Toyota' you could very well see an ADMU (Additional Dealer Mark-Up) of $2500-$3000. Why? Because the dealer HAS the car! They do this on popular models to make what THEY think the car should sell for. But Scion dealer's hands are tied by the Factory, and they are told you WILL sell the car for this price, even though they know they could get more.

Thing is, they know if YOU don't buy it, there are plenty who will.

Perhaps another option would be a Honda Fit. Similar, a *little* less 'quirky' styling, and a lot of the same or similar stuff (same displacement engine, similar base equipment) Bear in mind, as the price of gas goes UP, so does the price of these cars...with the exception of Scion. Once a car is purchased from Toyota with a window sticker, the sticker price stays until the car is sold.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The salesman lied to you.........twice Find another dealer, WBMA ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Maybe the OP lives there, already has some idea what he's up against and doesn't really need us to explain to him how traffic in Seattle works.

My experience is that Seattle is no worse than any other metro area and better than some.

Reply to
DH

Right. Of course, the waiting line gets longer. :-)

Reply to
DH

Doesn't Scion have fixed non-negotiable pricing like Saturn?

Reply to
toyomoho

I think it was toyomoho who stated:

Perzactly!

The Toyota dealership (Toyota of Rochester (MN)) we bought our Camry from already had that, so it was a good fit for them to add Scion to their line. I really like shopping there 'cause there was no pressure and no haggling. They had decent prices on their cars, and if you didn't like what was on the lot, they'd cut you an equivalent good deal for one you would order from Toyota. And, of course. Scion.

The BEST part is that the sales folk aren't paid on commission; their pay is based on customer satisfaction. So Arlyn Ness, our favorite sales guy of any we've ever met, didn't put ANY pressure on us to load up with options or to choose this model over that 'cause he'd get more from one or the other. He wanted us to be the car that was best for US. Period.

That's also been our experience with the service department there.

I *like* doing business with a place that treats me like I've been treated by Rochester Toyota/Scion! (They also sell Fords there, but the Toyota/Scion part is moving to new digs early in '07 -- YAAY!)

-Don

-- Everyone has a photographic memory; but some don't have film

Reply to
Don Fearn

Hmmm...I know him! Now, I have never lived in Upstate New York at all.

Must be a transplant...

Reply to
Hachiroku

because toyota will not take a buy out an upside-down loan and add it to the cost of a *new* scion.

but they will for a used one!

Reply to
SoCalMike

I think it was Hachiroku ???? who stated:

This Arlyn Ness isn't in Upstate New York. No New York at all. The "Toyota of Rochester (MN)" I refer to is in the Rochester in Minnesota, as was obviously NOT made clear by the tiny (MN) in my post.

Sorry for any confusion. (I should know better 'cause of all the stories I know of about people going to Rochester, expecting to arrive in NY and wind up in MN instead!)

-Don

-- A day without sunshine is like, well, night

Reply to
Don Fearn

Well, I was off by 800 miles? But that name still sounds familiar. And I'm NOT thinking of Elliot Ness or Areln Spector...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think it was Hachiroku ???? who stated:

There's an Arlen Ness (note different spelling of the first name) who is a motorcycle customizer; might that be who you're thinking of?