How much should it cost to replace the hoses on my 1997 Toyota RAV4?

I recently had my 75000 mile service done and the mechanic attached a note which said that the coolant hoses were soft and both upper and lower hoses should be replaced soon. When I asked for an estimate, they gave me a figure of $220.

Googling for Toyota RAV4 hose tell me that the hoses themselves cost $14 and $11 respectively. I'm surprised that the cost of replacing them is so high. Are there any other parts/fluids that get replaced with the hoses?

Needless to say, all I know about cars is driving them and I'm a novice at auto mechanics, so doing it myself is not a possibility.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Zapata

Ask the shop to give you a detailed estimate of labor time and parts. Parts would usually include coolant, (about $18 a gallon for Toyota OEM, hoses, you already priced them, and any clamps, usually two or three bucks apiece at most. Check around for other estimates including the Toyota dealer. $220. seems quite high, it depends on the labor involved to change them. Labor pricing can vary between 60 and 90 dollars per hour where I live. It pays to shop, but be sure you get the job done correctly, because it can cost you more money in the long run if done incorrectly.

Reply to
user