How much to replace a starter in 96 corolla?

I just got back from Pep Boys. and they said to replace my starter it will cost me around 275 dollars. I think that is a little high. What is a reasonable price for this type of problem?

Reply to
henree21

Whatever it costs to buy one. I don't think they are too difficult to replace. At least the one in my 97 Camry wasn't. I even found out that my starter wasn't bad, the battery was.

Reply to
badgolferman

Is that the price for the starter only or does that include labor? If the price includes labor and you are in an urban or suburban area, the price sounds reasonable.

Have you contacted other local repair facilities like your local Toyota dealer or independent AAA certified shop that employs ASE certified technicians?

Reply to
Ray O

the starter on my 97 corolla was acting up and the toyota dealer wanted

450.00 to replace. went to a local garage with a good reputation and it came to 205.00. that was 6 months ago and so far has been doing fine. check your local garages and see what price thay give you. should be able to give you a price over the phone. good luck.
Reply to
Dave Dave

Note that the dealer is going to use a Toyota Certified Reman part, or a brand new one, and that's a big part of the price difference. The problem being that their remanufacturing is too thorough, if such a thing is possible, and you pay for it.

Unless a starter motor has been abused by overuse - overheated and thrown the solder from the armature connections - a rebuild is really simple. Best to do your own, because you know it hasn't been abused.

There are many parts that may need replacement, but they usually can just fix the one bad item that caused the unit to fail, check the rest of the parts for function and wear (and change any that are at all suspect), clean and lubricate, and the starter is good for another

100,000 miles.

Two bearings, armature coils and commutator, field coils, Bendix drive gear, brushes, brush holders, solenoid coil, solenoid linkage, solenoid switching contacts. It's a simple electric motor.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Three years ago I paid $314 (parts, tax, labor) to get the starter replaced on my 95 Prizm.

Reply to
Truckdude