How much would it cost to put in a new camry engine?

Threaded View

My engine crapped out on me and I need to put in a new one. Now by new
I mean a new "used" engine. It's a '94 camry 4 cylinder.

Re: How much would it cost to put in a new camry engine?

Depends...I paid $300 for a whole truck (wrecked) and put the 22R-E into
my Celica for $250. Know anybody? I got a bargain...a 160,000 engine with
no bad habits, installed for $550.

I would expect to pay $1200-2000 to have en engine installed. Is the car
worth it?

KBB (Kelly Blue Book) Lists this car, in GOOD condition (based on an LE
with Power options and alloy wheels, 160,000 miles) as Private Sale for
$2975. On the used market, for a '94, I would expect to pay $1700 or less.

go to http://www.kbb.com and punch in the info and see what the value is.
I take that, cut it in half and then repair up to that point. If I can't
repair it for that or less then I get rid of it...

Re: How much would it cost to put in a new camry engine?

The car is in good shape. But if it's gonna cost that much to have a
new engine installed then it's not worth it.

Re: How much would it cost to put in a new camry engine?

Well, like johngdole said, do you know anyone that can put it in on the
cheap? Ant friends of friends who do work at night on the side?

I lucked out...one of the guys we bought our parts from did mechanic work
at night and put it in cheap. Look around.

Do you already have a 'donor car' or engine in hand?

If not, try http://www.car-part.com

most of these guys are reputable, and will cut a deal if you call them and
say you saw the part on the web.

Re: How much would it cost to put in a new camry engine?

The car is in good shape. But if it's gonna cost that much to have a
new engine installed then it's not worth it.

For me, it would be worth it to pay $1500 for a new engine installed that
will last me easily 300K/mi rather than buy a new/used car. My car is only
worth $3000 but I look at the mileage that I'm going to get out of it when
it gets to that point.

Re: How much would it cost to put in a new camry engine?

That's what you have to weigh. What would it cost to BUY this car in the
condition it will be after the repair. If it's worth keeping it, then do
it.

I cut my losses on the Celica. The fuel system sprung leaks, one of the
struts broke and dropped a spring on the tire and the exhaust system all
broke...after I put the engine in!

There is a concept in Accounting: Sunk Cost. Never mind what you have in
the car now. The car's current 'cost' is Zero. If it costs $1500 to fix
it, weigh which is better...rapairing what you have, or spending $1500 for
something else.

If I did it again, I'd be crawling all over the car taking a GOOD LOOK at
other things before installing an engine. I knew the brakes were good, and
the steering was good, and the body was good...shoot, I should have kept
it! (Actually, I lie...the crossmember under the radiator was rusting
right through. Since this constitutes the 'frame', I gave up. Otherwise, I
would have put on new struts and I had already ordered the exhaust...)

Re: How much would it cost to put in a new camry engine?

Installation typically runs about $600. Find a good rebuild shop, also
see what local NAPA has in stores. If you do your own work then pulling
a decent engine from the junk yard with a 30 day warranty will keep the
cost down like the other post mentioned.

Re: How much would it cost to put in a new camry engine?

"Crapped" out is real definitive.  That could mean a rod thru the block
(bad - you need new engine) or just a new timing belt (a tow and $200).
Unless you have 200k+ on your old one it might be cheaper to repair it.

Site Timeline