How's this estimate for my car?

I asked for advice on auto-body works two days ago. My car pics at the crash scene are at

. I took my car to a local auto body shop. They did anestimate along with the AllSate adjuster. The estimate is at
(pleaseresize). Could some experts here take a look at the estimateto see if everything looks alright?I have questions on estimate page one, where it says"Uni-body frame - Repair". Is that how it's done normally?frame being repaired instead of being replaced. Right below the said line, there is "Section, Front body - Recycled Part - $1500". The shop said they actually will use new part and the paper says "Recycled Part" is because my AllSate insurance says so in my insurance policy. Can I trust them that they'll actually put new parts on my car after I sign the release form to release my car to them?

The whole estimate comes to $4328.11. With $500 deductible, Allstate pays out $3828.11 as the paper shows. With this deal, am I getting what it's worth?

This accident is getting my nerves. And I know nothing about cars. Experts please help me out. Thanks.

Reply to
likeit

There are two basic types of vehicle designs:

A body-on-frame design consisted of a frame (usually ladder or wishbone-shaped) that supported the engine and drivetrain and had a body sitting on the frame. This used to the be most common construction type and is still used in some SUV's and in full-size vans and trucks other than the Honda Ridgeline.

A uni-body (A.K.A. unitized body, monocoque) uses formed sheet metal to give the car its strength. This design is generally lighter and makes for a very rigid chassis, which improves handling. Most modern cars use this design as do open wheel race cars (like Indy and Formula 1). Because the car itself is the frame, there is no conventional frame to replace although some unibody designs use sub-frames to hold the suspension, engine, and transmission.

A bent unibody is usually straightened by putting it on a frame machine and using special attachments to pull the bent part until it is straight. If a part is bent too severely, it is cut out and a replacement piece is welded in its place.

Whether you can trust the body shop to put new parts in your car depends on the body shop. If you do not know if they are reputable or not, the only way to tell is to inspect the part after it is installed. Insurance companies try to save money by using recycled or aftermarket parts. Many states have laws that prevent the insurance companies from forcing you to use recycled or aftermarket parts so they will use various ruses to get you to agree to them. Read the fine print on any authrorization to repair.

Reply to
Ray O

What they are really saying is that your car has a "uni-body", NOT a conventional frame. There is no frame to replace. The uni-body must be repaired.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Does your state require owner's consent for non-OEM parts?

Travis Jordan

That looks pretty reasonable for that much damage, if you have reason to believe they will do the job right. My Matrix had a minor scrape on the rear bumper cover which also wiped out a small spoiler underneath and it was $1400 to fix.

Reply to
Mark

You vehicle is not built on a separate frame, hence the need to refinish the front ends of the box, and a front clip from a salvage yard. If they use all new parts the loss may exceed the value of the vehicle and they would total the car.. Toyota crash parts are very pricey.

I've been in the business for over 50 years and the estimate looks good to me. Your car is not hit bad, it looks worse than it is. Not to worry, All State is a reliable company. It will look as good as new, when it is finished.

What surprises me is, where do you live that the shop rate is only $40? In our area the shop rate is more like twice that amount.

mike hunt

likeit wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

And in Connecticut 3 TIMES that amount! That car would have been totalled in CT.

Reply to
hachiroku

Thanks Mike. You made me kinda relieved.

I'm in New York City. The shop is called "Expressive Auto Body" located at 54-24 Flushing Ave, Maspeth, NY 11378. It's in Queens if you know about New York City. The shop is actually the place my car was towed to by the towing company. I checked BBB.org, they had one complaint in last three years. Can't judge the shop just on that. So hopefully it's a good shop.

If $40 isn't the right labor rate, what should a good autobody shop charge? There are lots of autoshops here so there are lots of competitions here too. Most of shops look crappy from outside. I can't tell how good a job they do.

Reply to
likeit

Mine was 80 bucks an hour (Florida)

Reply to
Mark

$60-100 MA

Reply to
hachiroku

My guess is they give you insurance company a special rate. There is a shop on 38th, near the fire station, MB dealer, and the Javits center, to whom we sell dozens of police cars. They convert them into taxis. It looks like crapo but the do first class work. It must be a NY thing. ;)

mike hunt

likeit wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

We operate in six easter states, including Florida, and that is what we see $80 to $110.

mike hunt

Mark wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

I'm not sure why you're so involved in the process. Way back in '92, my beloved '87 Corolla got mushed at 1 am whilst parked on the street, while I was sleeping. I called my Toyota dealer in the morning, asked them who they recommended for repair, AAA towed my car to that shop. I called my insurance company, told them where my car was, they dealt with the repair shop. I didn't do a thing until I picked my car up, looking and running like new. Why are you doing your insurance company's job? Don't you pay them enough?

Reply to
mmward

I noticed that, too. It would be $4500 in California, IF they didn't gouge you another thousand on parts.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

My guess is that is because of California goofy environmental laws and the extranodinarly high price of Japanese car parts.

mike hunt

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Reply to
Mikehunt2