How the HELL do you turn off the locking/unlocking function of a Factory Toyota alarm?

Because of the way the keyfob is, sometimes when I keep my keys in my pocket, the button gets pushed and either locks the doos, unlocks the doors, or triggers the alarm.

I was stepping outside to have a ciggy, and I heard the familiar WHUMP of a Scion door. I opened the door just in time to see the dome light fading, but no one around. Now, I KNOW I locked the doors before I came in the house earlier, because I pulled the key out of my pocket and watched the lightrs flash indicating the doors locked.

So, I must have hit the damn button when I was sitting down and it unlocked the doors.

This keeps happening too much for my liking. I want to lock the doors and KNOW the doors are locked. I could put the keys somewhere out of my pockets, but I'm somewhat of an Absent-Minded Professor...I'll either forget and have to come back in the house, or worse, lock myself out of the house altogether.

So, is there some way to disable the locking/unlocking from the fob?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Take the battery out of the fob, professor.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

duh

Reply to
Fr Corey

Then you have to go to Toyota for a reprogram. No thanks.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Is the fob the kind that's part of the regular key, or a separate thing?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Other than wearing looser pants, what's your suggestion?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'll say:

That's OK...I'll save the $65 reprogramming fee.

duh.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Part of the key. $65 reprogramming fee. I never did one so I don't know how it's done.

For "only" $65, it can't be too hard. I know the guys that were doing it took all of 5 minutes.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nonsense. Don't you have a regular key you can use instead of the fob? You don't need the remote.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

When you did a google search using the words "reprogram toyota key fob", were any of the 11,100 search results helpful?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe Hach wants to retain the panic button function, in case he runs out of beer.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It doesn't. It explains why he does NOT want to remove the battery.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Jeff, take a deep breath and calm down, OK?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

hard plastic and super glue or a key cover...

EdV

I was thinking about something like this, but it says it squeezes the keys together.

That's what's causing the problem...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sorry...

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Nah...

Reply to
Hachiroku

This looks like something I want to do all the time...

The first programming option allows you to set the entry unlock to: (A) unlock the driver door with one push, and the remaining doors with a second push OR (B) unlock all of the doors with a single push.

  1. Open the driver's door. Remove the key from the ignition switch.
  2. (Complete these steps within 40 seconds)
  3. Insert the key into and remove it from the ignition switch 2 times. (IN - OUT - IN - OUT)
  4. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times. (SHUT - OPEN - SHUT - OPEN)
  5. Insert the key into and remove it from the ignition switch 1 time. (IN - OUT)
  6. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times. (SHUT - OPEN - SHUT - OPEN)
  7. Insert the key into the ignition switch and leave it in.
  8. Close the driver's door.
  9. Turn the key from LOCK to ON 4 times, ending at LOCK (LOCK - ON - LOCK - ON - LOCK - ON - LOCK - ON - LOCK)
  10. Wait for the locks to stop, then remove the key from the ignition switch.
  11. On the key fob, press and release both LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time.
  12. [For all doors unlock] press and release the UNLOCK button.
  13. [For driver door unlock] press and release the LOCK button.
  14. Open the driver's door. The programming is complete. If programming did not occur, start over.

Sorry, a poor solution isn't really better than no solution at all after all...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, first of all that would be Crown Royal. Beer is just so pedestrian.

Second, the key/fob is part of the security system. There are a limited number of starts once the key with the chip is removed from the car. Removing the battery turns off the security, so I guess I'd have to leave it in the front yard looking pretty and without any security at all...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Hachiroku