How to bypass Lamp Failure Sensor

My girlfriend recently bought a 1984 Toyota Camry with 48,000 miles. GOLD!!! The rear brake lights did not work. The seller told us that the Lamp Failure Sensor was broken. I called Toyota and the part is over 200.00 and takes weeks to order. I have found a miracle bypass workaround for this sensor.

For a 1984 Toyota Camry (same bypass should work for any model) the steps are as follows:

  1. Find the sensor by following the trunk lid wires down to the passenger side of the trunk. Find a bright orange sensor (small box shaped object) and remove it.
  2. Next pull back the wire coverings to expose the wires leaving the lamp failure sensor going to the back taillights. You will notice that there are only two wires leaving the lamp failure going to the taillights. One wire, which is green/white striped, activates when the pedal is depressed. The other, which is green/reddish orange striped, activates then the lights are turned on at night. (your colors may be different depending on the year) Cut these wires an inch and a half above where they leave the sensor
  3. Next, there are a bunch of wires leading from the front of the car going to the lamp failure sensor. (only two of which are important). The Red/no stripe wire is activated when the pedal is depressed and a green/no stripe wire activates when the lights are turned on at night.
  4. To bypass this sensor:

Connect the red wire/no stripe to the Green/White stripe Connect the green/no stripe to the Green/Reddish orange stripe

This will connect the front of the car to the back completely bypassing this idiotic sensor. It is strictly designed to light up a signal on you dash letting you know if a tail light is burned out. (My suggestions is to check your lights manually)

This is a do it yourself fix that can save you hundreds, you will love yourself in the morning.

Good luck fixn' and congratulations for buying a Toyota, you are a genius

Dave

Reply to
Toyotas rule

Interesting read, I don't know if I would recommend bypassing anything though. Usually there is a reason that they are there. Then again, I've never seen burned out light bulb sensors on any cars built in the last 10 years.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Why would you want to disconnect the sensor that tells youthat the rear brake lights are on the fritz?

I would want to know that the brake lights are not working.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland