How to change the dashboard(Speedometer) light in Toyota Corolla 97

Hi, I have been trying to find of how I can change the dashboard(Speedometer) light, in Toyota Corolla 97. I think one of the

3 bulbs in it is bad. Any help or guidance will be highly appreciated. Thanks AS
Reply to
reachsinha

Three or 4 screws at the top of the cluster shroud, three or 4 more at the bottom. Remove the bezel; 6-10 screws hold the instr. panel in. Snake it past the steering wheel.

Reply to
Hachiroku

While you are in there, replace all the bulbs - they are cheap. I had the same problem and replaced the one faulty bulb... I ended up with slightly different brightness on the gauge where I replaced the bulb... (I'm picky)... to top it off, another bulb blew two weeks later, so I had to pop out the cluster again ... 2nd time around, I replaced ALL the bulbs... so far so good.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

This might interest you...I flew for many years as a Flight Engineer...on the F/E panel of the last a/c I flew there were somewhere around sixty warning lights and power indicator lights.

Each one is in it's own holder which has a 'press to test' feature built into it. It used to be our procedure when doing a 'pre-flight inspection' to 'press-to-test' every one of them to ensure that the bulb was ok. Now, seeing as how a bulb's most stressful event it just at the 'start of operation', I used to argue against this process...I wrote suggestion after suggestion that we abandon this wasteful and counterproductive action.

Guess what?...my suggestion was finally adopted and they started doing that test on 100 hour inspections only by ground techs...I didn't earn a hockeysock full of money but it sped our 'preflights' up a bit!...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Gordon, that is indeed an interesting story. I suppose the circuitry to turn on all the lights at once like in a car does with the key in the ON position would be too cumbersome (in terms of wiring) to have on most newer aircraft. Plus having to actually press each lamp to test it requires the tester to be more thorough than just pressing a master button, and most likely less annoying than having the entire instrument panel light up at once.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Well, actually some lights did get tested that way, the engine fire extinguisher pull bars were all tested at once with one switch but the others were all done singly...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I'm just reminded of an interesting story about some twin engined jetliner (maybe a 737?) which has one switch to test both engine's fire detectors.

This a/c had been in service for several years when it had an engine fire warning on the port engine immediately after takeoff...there was no visual indications of fire but the procedure was to pull the fire pull bar which shut down the engine and fire the extinguisher bottles into it...the crew declared an emergency and asked for an immediate circuit and return to the same runway.

All was fine until short final when the starboard engine erupted into flames and failed completely... long story short was that the fire warning wires had been crossed when the a/c was built years before and because of the single test switch the discrepancy had never shown up!...

This could be an urban legend but it seemed authentic...and would appear possible...anyone know any jet twin with a single 'engine fire warning test switch' for both engines?

Reply to
Gord Beaman