How to lubricate door hinges - 93 Camry

My local repair shop used WD-40 to lubricate the door hinges on my 93 Toyota Camry and it did not last long. How can I do this myself? I can't see the hinges or how to get to them because of the rubber covers. Also, I am not sure which lubricant works best. Thanks.

Reply to
Ken via CarKB.com

Spray silicone lube works OK, but I prefer spray Lithium Grease; available at most hardware stores and big-box retailers and comes with a straw to get in those tight places.

Reply to
Steve

Has the good-old oil can finally been laid to rest?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

WD-40 is not an effective a lubricant.

The best stuff for a door hinge are spray lithium grease or GM heat riser lubricant.

For the front hinges, open the front doors - you will be able to see the upper and lower hinges - they do not have any rubber covers.

For the rear hinges, open the front doors and look at the leading edge of the rear doors - the hinges will be visible, or you can open the rear doors to spray.

If you are getting the squeak/groan when you open and close the doors, the likely cause is the door check, a flat plastic-coated rod with bumps to hold the door in various open positions. There is a spring/snubber that squeezes the flat rod. Spray the upper an lower surface of the rod and stick the snorkel from the lubricant into the opening where the check rod goes and spray the inside. For this application, try one of those "super lubes" like CRC which will coat the snubber.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ken via CarKB.com" wrote in news:54e73ca824624@uwe:

WD-40 is not a lubricant. It is a Water Displacing (that's what "WD" stands for) formula NOT designed to keep metal surfaces apart from each other.

Yep.

Spray white grease (lithium grease). Available everywhere.

Becuase it's an aerosol, it can be injected with greater assurance of penetration into the nooks and crannies of the door hinge.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Is there a brand name or some product to look for, I've not seen anything which says lithium grease in a spray form ect.

Reply to
DbU.''

Pep Boys and/or AutoZone stores definitely have it .... it may either be called lithium or white grease.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

In spray form, I'll check it out at AutoZone, we have one about a mile away.

Reply to
DbU.''