How to remove "air freshener" odor?

My wife's father just gave her his '03 Matrix. We like it a lot except for the overpowering artificial Vanilla smell in the car. It gives us a headache. I plan to clean the upholstry with upholstry cleaner this weekend, but does anyone have any other tips?

Most of the tips I read about removing car odors are tips for masking the smell. In this case I want to remove the offensive odor that supposedly masks bad smells.

I've read that an Ozone generator works great, but destroys the rubber & plastic in the interior. Anything else actually remove smells instead of masking them?

Reply to
someone

Change the cabin filter. and if it has a cloth interior, use Fabreeze on it.

Reply to
frcorey

I would not go with an ozone generator for the reasons you stated.

First, look for an air freshener stashed somewhere like under the seats or in the ductwork. If stuff was sprayed on the carpet or upholstery, the best way is to shampoo it. Ozium, sold at some auto parts stores, may help a little, as does FeBreeze, which seems to work well.

Reply to
Ray O

Extraction type machine with the small "Upholstery" head - if you don't get the cleaning solution on the fabric or carpet and then vacuum it right back off, the soap soaks into the foam seat cushions, or the carpet backing and padding, and you'll have bigger problems.

Then remove the twelve cans of Vanilla air deodorizer he stuck under the front seats - that should do it... ;-)

If he poured the stuff on the carpets or into the cushions, you could have to simply wait for it to dissipate. Park it in the sun with all the windows open and a fan aimed in, bake it out.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I think I'd try cleaning the upholstery and then leaving the car out in the sun for an afternoon with the windows and doors open. (You should either turn off any lights that come on when the doors open, or just disconnect the battery to keep it from running down.)

Sunlight helps break down smelly substances, and just airing it out will help too. There's some ozone in fresh air that also breaks down some smells. (But don't use an ozone generator or anything because it will also break down rubber and plastics if it's too strong.)

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Ozone in high concentrations will deteriorate rubber fast. Very corrosive gas, but very effective in getting rid of odors such as smoked up cars and houses if used right.

Reply to
dbu.

Shoot, we used to put some of the 'stinkier' cars on Ozone for DAYS!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

That worked? If that's the case, would this work? Fill a 5 gallon bucket of water, place the bucket in the back of the car, plug in a hair drier or toaster, and toss it into the bucket. (JUST KIDDING!!!)

Reply to
Ray O

Myth Busters did the .22 in the old barrel-type fuse box and it did go off when power was supplied!

Reply to
Ray O

Interesting way to get rid of a wife! (if'n I ever GET one!!!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

They were using an old pickup truck, and the orientation of the fuse box sent the slug dangerously close to the family jewels. THAT would be a tough one to explain in the emergency room!

Reply to
Ray O