How to replace Oxygen Sensor on 92 Toyota Paseo

Any suggestions on how to replace Oxygen Sensor on 92 Toyota Paseo

  1. How do I get under the car, it sits pretty low.
  2. Where is the Oxygen Sensor
  3. What type of Oxygen Sensor do I need to get. I am confused with the
2 wire/4 wire , length of wire etc options. How do I figure out which one fits my car.

Thanks.

Reply to
kish

Go to any parts store and ask them for an OEM replacement. Usually it will have a mating harness attached. If it's too expensive, then ask them for a generic, and make a note of how the OEN is wired, with attention paid to the connector "key" to make sure you get the wires in the right palces (note: the heater wires don't matter...THEY can be reversed...)

Then get the old one out. In my '95 Tercel (same car, different body) I gave up after 45 minutes, and let a friend with a shop do it. He charged $25, well worth it. He had to TORCH the damn thing out, and make up a tool to get it once it was torched!

Access to the connector is located on the passenger's side, under the carpet near the console. You'll probably have to remove the bezel surrounding the radio, and the console in order to free the carpet enough to get in there.

Or, take it to a shop you trust and pay $25! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I couldn't find the car on AutoZone's online free repair guide, so check your local Pep Boys for a Haynes manual. In general follow the exhaust pipe. Autozone has free loaner sensor sockets.

Autozone lists: Bosch 12201 $56.99 with the OE connector; 12210 universal (you have to splice the wires) costs $46.99. Took an extra 30 minutes on the first try for a 4-wire heated sensor (the only way I could get a planar type in that case). Bosch is the best in class. I'd stay away from Denso sensors.

kish wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Hogwash!

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Perhaps you have that backwards? I only use Bosch on cars I don't really care about, and then only when the Check Engine light comes on and I don't know what it is. I was paying

Reply to
Hachiroku

Your car ought to have one sensor, and it will be mounted to the exhaust manifold (header) in a location ahead of the cat, but after where all of the exhaust ports come together. There is a "special" socket that you _might_ need, this socket has one side cut out to accomodate the wire harness that is part of the sensor.

Replacing the sensor is a lot like replacing a spark plug, the socket looks similar to a spark plug socket with a side missing. You should use anti-seize compound on the threads of the sensor, but be careful to NOT get the compound on the sensor tip.

I get Bosch sensors when I need them. I've only bought two or three, and they've always worked right, right out of the box. You want to be sure to get one that does not require to splice wires. I've heard reports that the "universal" type of sensor is not very reliable, and it pays dividends to get the one specific for your app,lication.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland