Hybrid Hypocrisy (not OT)

Interesting how fast drivers get back into the big vehicles once the price of gas drops a little. So you see $3 is not enough incentive to get drivers permently out of the big cans. We need $10 a gallon and the demmies will strive for it thru taxes, that is if they are in control long enough, as it will take a couple of fiscal seasons to get the ball really rolling. :)

dbu'

Hmmm, interesting example of wandering focus: from "drivers soon forget how pricey fuel can be" to an OT attack on Democrats in a single big breath. Do try to work on your impulse control. All this fretting about what political foes may do can't be good for your mental equilibrium. Start by worrying about what an actual troupe of clowns has already done to your country.

FWIW, I agree with your initial thesis, about how soon the dummy fuel-wasting drivers (of assorted political camps) forget. Glad to see Arnie The Gubernator is back in office in CA -- so he can keep pushing energy efficiency. How much of his greener outlook latterly is down to persusasion by his (Kennedy-Democrat?) wife?

Not sure how much of that rates as on-topic. Let me know, huh.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Likewise how fast it is you come to their defense and quick to attack our current administration.

Reply to
dbu'

Watch out, he gets mad when you point out his adult ADD to him.

Reply to
Truckdude

"Arnie The Gubernator"

"OT attack on Democrats" "this fretting about what political foes may do"

"Start by worrying about what an actual troupe of clowns has already done to your country."

The Newsweek article did not appear to be something that is off topic for this NG.

Reply to
dbu'

So I see. :-)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Oh, is that what's exercising you? As I thought my post made so clear only a block of wood could miss it, I quite approve of old Arnie. He has become an example of how hard it is to put people into neat categories: a red collar with blue cuffs, as it were.

Oh shucks, those bits of fun? Well, you began by talking of the general daft behaviour of certain drivers. No problem there (as I said). Then you just couldn't resist kicking the Dems, before they've even had a chance to do anything: sort of "they're bound to do this, so let's hang them for it, before they do." And the clowns crack followed the path you had already beaten down.

Didn't say it was. Your readiness to stick it to anyone you feel isn't 100% conformant to your prejudices(NB) was the issue.

By now I hope the meds are cutting in and you're feeling happier.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Cheers old bean :)

Reply to
dbu'

There are several factors at work. I could own an SUV without having a signifcant impact on the environment because I'd never drive it very far. But it's useless to me, so I won't. Some people have some use for an SUV, so they buy it and, during the week it does the short trips. And then there

*are* those who just buy the big rig and drive it.

Then, Detroit, even if they stuff a wad of cash in the glovebox to move an SUV off the lot, can make more money on an SUV sale than, say, a Malibu. So Detroit is incentivized to sell them and people are incentivized to buy them.

Until we get that $10/gallon gas, though, we'll still see big vehicles commuting.

I did get a laugh out of the guy who bought the red Durango for Boy Scouts. One of the things I've been doing for the Troop is downsizing equipment, so that neither a Durango nor a trailer are required to get the Scouts to campouts. I've gotten the equipment necessary for 3 patrols to camp for the week down to 4 boxes from 7. We can now take just a few smaller cars on most campouts and we really only need the trailer when we go to week-long resident camp.

Reply to
dh

tried it in "kah-lee-foh-nya" and it didnt pass. if it wont pass there, it wont pass anywhere.

Reply to
mike

I see. You think the price swings of the past few years were due to Democrats.

Pretend you're an economics professor and explain this.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I bet $5 per gallon gas would get people to dump unnecessary SUV's. Democrats won't do it because it would be political suicide. Hopefully they will pass new fleet mileage requirements to improve the situation because Americans are so damn stupid to police themselves. They would prefer to drive SUV's and give money to potential terrorists thru the local gas stations.

Reply to
Art

That is most fun of camping out. Minimum gear!! We used to camp out in a little Dodge Omni back in the early eighties, packed in the back hatch compartment a tent and a few things. It was a fun camp out. Seems like everybody has to make a good thing "better" by upscaling (I just invented the damn word) every year.

Reply to
dbu'

In many instances, the run-ups in price are not related in any way to the suppliers of the raw material, nor are they related to politics or taxes. I won't say any more about this just yet because I'm waiting for dbu to stick his foot in his mouth, out his ass, and back in his mouth again. Let's see if he can guess where this is going.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No i'm not a "economics professor", are you?

Did you bother to read the article? Yea, I think if anyone can get us $10 gal gas at the pump the democrats are the ones to do it. After all, they are the ones who promote environment, and would like for the masses to use public transportation rather than the single person in that big fat pickup truck sucking gas.

Reply to
dbu'

Nobody ever thought we'd get to $3/gal gas, but we made it this summer. I give it another 3 or 4 years. If the democrats keep hold of congress and get a democrat elected president then watch out in 09. :)

Reply to
dbu'

If I were in front of you now, in person I would have my foot up your ass, LOL. Next.

Reply to
dbu'

I read the article. Thank you. It was a very nice article.

But, I'm focused on your original message, which is the reason you wrote it - to get attention. Explain the real reason for the large price swings we've seen over the past couple of years.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I really don't think $5 will do it. At $3 a gallon they were still joy riding. $10 is where it's at.

Reply to
dbu'

Does the 4 boxes for 3 patrols include food, tents, flys, and clothing?

We use 1 patrol box, 1 cooler for food, 1 dining fly, plus 1 tent per 2 scouts and their clothing per patrol. If we are doing group cooking for everyone instead of individual patrol cooking, then only 1 patrol box comes along. Part of the bulk comes from using canvas dining flys, Eureka Outfitter tents, and double burner Coleman stoves. The troop uses backpacking-style equipment like lightweight tents and backpacking stoves that save a lot of bulk and weight for trips to Philmont or the Boundary Waters, but for routine outings, the consensus among the leaders is durability is a higher priority than light weight.

Reply to
Ray O