Hyudai Sales Person..

Yesterday, I went on my once every 7 year pilgramage to a Hyudai dealer to test drive one and see where they're at. Last time I drove one was before I purchsed my 01 camry (new)..

I ended up with a sales guy with an Arab accent. And we took a sonata out. I asked him 3 questions. First one was 'does this car have a timing chain or a belt?'. The second was 'about how much does this vehicle weigh?'.

To the first question he said 'I think it has a belt. But you only have to change it every 100k miles'. He said it with such conviction that if he didn't have the Arabic accent, It might have been convincing . I think Hyundai has timing chains in their vehicles by now? no?

Anyway, his answer to my second question led to my third. He said I believe the vehicle weighs 7,000 pounds.

And, of course, that led to my obvious 3rd question, 'how long have you been selling cars?'...Because it obviously hasn't been long..And he said seven months.. I guess my point is why not use the down time (over several months) to learn about the vehicles you're selling instead of looking so foolish?

They only had 2 brands, Mazda and Hyundai. And to make things worse, he asked 2 older sales guys and they couldn't tell me if it had a timing chain or a belt..! One guys answer was ' I'm a salesman not a mechanic'...

I guess that's why they have all those 'DUH' stickers all over the dealership..?

Reply to
Charles Pisano

I've found that very few salespeople are knowledgeable about the technical aspects of the products they sell. What the salesperson should have done is say that he would find the answers.

If you're curious, you can find the answer to the timing belt/chain question by looking at the maintenance schedule, and the answer to the weight question will be in the specifications section of the manual. Gross vehicle weight will be on the manufacturer's plate on the door jamb.

A Hummer H1 weighs around 6,800 lbs

Reply to
Ray O

DUH slogan... very funny. Yes I would agree a tiny bit of knowledge would be nice. I think sales guys even have special training on new vehicles. A friend of mine who sells Toyota in North Jersey was once in a Tundra seminar when they were new.

Anyway, even before I test drive a vehicle I already do some research and dont rely on tech info from the sales guy. But nevertheless I like to hear what he has to say about the vehicle. My test drive just boils down on how the car feels when I'm driving it.

Reply to
EdV

My point is more what are they thinking as sales people. Do they have any pride? As a former automotive technician, I often know the answer to the questions I ask a car sales person b4 I ask it.I just ask to see of what value (if any) they can be to me.

And as a current sales person myself (insurance), I am embarrased for many of them. It would be better for car companys to have a computer terminal in their lobby that can scan my insurance and license and allow me to check out a car (for a test run) and look up specs on it than to have sales people who don't care about their craft..or who refuse to bring any effort or homework to the transaction..

I guess it's coming to that with much of the internet buying that is going on. OTOH, I did speak to a toyota salesperson recently (20 year rep) who did know the value of a J vin number and could recite different specs..But it is ever so rare to find.

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Maybe the Sonata is denser. ;)

Reply to
beerspill

Or maybe the salesperson that Charles met is denser...

Reply to
Ray O

You don't understand. Their goal is to get your signature on the order, period.

Fact is, in this day and age, they are dinosaurs. You can hit a web site and have the car delivered, you hand over a check or sign some papers, and that's it. No actual salesman involved. You've already done all the legwork and know exactly what you want; at this point, anyone else you deal with is nothing more than an order taker.

The age of the car salesman is coming to a close.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Unfortunately, this is not true. As long as the average intelligence of car buyers (and everybody else) is as low as it currently seems to be, there'll be car salesmen who can tell lies, obfuscate the facts on every single aspect of the vehicles they sell, and hornswoggle customers in every possible way. If you think there aren't folks who have no idea of what they're buying and what they're paying for it, think again. Many people will sign blank orders based on the salesman telling them "just sign it, we'll fill it in at the credit office", can't tell you whether they bought a four or six cylinder automobile, have not a clue how much interest they pay on their loan, etc. As long as such customers exist, so the salesmen will exist.

Reply to
mack

Re: Hyudai Sales Person.. Group: alt.autos.toyota Date: Mon, Mar 31, 2008, 10:44am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@dslextreme.com (mack)

Unfortunately, this is not true. As long as the average intelligence of car buyers (and everybody else) is as low as it currently seems to be, there'll be car salesmen who can tell lies, obfuscate the facts on every single aspect of the vehicles they sell, and hornswoggle customers in every possible way. If you think there aren't folks who have no idea of what they're buying and what they're paying for it, think again. =A0 Many people will sign blank orders based on the salesman telling them "just sign it, we'll fill it in at the credit office", can't tell you whether they bought a four or six cylinder automobile, have not a clue how much interest they pay on their loan, etc. As long as such customers exist, so the salesmen will exist.

--------------

Sadly, I think this is more like it. People are sheep. Today I went to the same dealership and checked out a mazda 6. I'm looking at everything lately. My camry has 137k miles. I guess it's just a reflex. I say that because I think I could slap on 4 new struts and get another 100k comfortable miles..

The mazda sales guy was just as bad as the arab.

Me-How many gallon tank in this 6.?

Him -20

Me-Does it have a timing chain or a belt?

Him - a belt ...they are all going that way now..

(Lmao)

He volunteered that he has been selling cars for 7 months . B4 that he said he was a MORTGAGE BROKER..!

That would be the last thing I'd tell people..

Reply to
Charles Pisano

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@nntp2.usenetserver.com...

Quoting your words" the AVERAGE INTELLIGENCE of car buyers (and EVERYBODY ELSE) is AS LOW as it currently seems to be....{

Reply to
sirmichaelcat

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@nntp2.usenetserver.com...

it must be true