Hyundai Will Have Hybrids Next Year - And Fuel Cells in 2012?

Do Hyundais still fall apart?

Reply to
Dont Taze Me, Bro!

Driving a manual is not that difficult to learn. Anyone who can muster enough coordination to walk and chew gum at the same time, or use both hands to pat head and rub belly at the same time, can learn how to drive stick passably well in an hour's teaching.

Now getting good at it does take longer. Some people a LOT longer.

Oh, the VW "Automatic Stickshift" transmission. Worked well - except FWIH for people who liked to rest their hand on the shifter all the time a little too hard, and wear out the clutches.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

It was the "drop-in" gas tank that was also the hatch area floor, designed for faster manufacturing and to save a couple pounds of sheet steel.

But if you got hit hard in the rear and the folding structural body rails ruptured the seam of the gas tank, the gasoline tank was already on the inside of the car. Add an ignition source, and you have the recipe for a huge fireball.

If the Pinto had a conventional solid floor to act as a firewall, and a conventionally mounted gas tank strapped on from underneath, it would never have been a big problem.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I guess it depends on one's definition of "best car." It seems pretty obvious that Hyundai is trying to emulate Toyota's automotive success when Toyota had a cost advantage - build a good product and sell it at a reasonable price that is lower than the competition. As the economy of the home country progresses, costs, wages, and demand will increase, gradually reducing the cost advantage. If the automaker has established and maintained a good enough reputation before the erosion of the cost advantage, they can compete with more mature automakers in mature markets.

Yugo and Hyundai were introduced to the U.S. at roughly the same time, and both companies' products were considered to be pretty poor quality and not worth the low price. Hyundai, with its deep pockets, is still around.

Reply to
Ray O

He can't. Trust me. I didn't marry him for his body mechanics skills - well, at least not *that sort* of mechanics ;-)

He really tried, many times. He just can't get it.

I have no desire to go manual, but hubby wants to be able to buy a cheaper vehicle in the future. Guess that's not going to happen.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Ray O" ...

Ah, gawd, the Yugo. What a disaster that one was! Though really, I didn't have any problems with my Hyundai Excel.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

As time goes on and prices increase, consumers will be willing to take less for money spent, in my opinion.

Reply to
dbu

My first new car was a Hyundai Excel. I liked the car, but it very little testicular fortitude. I remember that at one time in California, Hyundais were the #1 stolen car. Why? The radios! They would steal the car, swipe the radio, then abandon it! Now nuts is that? Natalie ===================

Testicals and nuts... I wonder what she's looking for..

Reply to
in2-dadark

I think there might be an exception - I think it was practical to buy VWs in the 60's and 70's, because parts were easily available. When my parents went on vacation in 1975 (I remember the year, because I got braces and was in 5th grade), our babysitters had a VW bug. The only VW I recall being in. (I might have been in one in the mid-90s, except that the VW dealer was an asshole, so I never returned to the showroom.) My dad rebuilt engines in 50s to the mid 90s. Parts availability was never an issue when I worked there in the 80s. (Before that, I was too young to safely spend time in the shop or too involved in baseball, school, or playing cowboys and Indians, so I don't even memories of it.) ==========

the more he types the less I comprehend..

Reply to
in2-dadark

Natalie is right, Japanese cars were considered to be crap at one point. I did not know that Natalie was old enough to remember those days. She must be well preserved for her stage of antiquity ... =========

Why would you assume that.. Wishful thinking..?

Reply to
in2-dadark

LOL! Another nice slide-away for slithery cathy.

-------------- That's how she rolls...er..slides..never admit you're wrong.. just side step the issue..

Reply to
in2-dadark

They were worth much more if the tank was full ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

The more who types????

Please set up your client to reply properly, thanks.

Reply to
Tomes

the more he types the less I comprehend.. The more who types???? Please set up your client to reply properly, thanks.

Who the f*ck are you..? the internet police....?

I'll reply how I want to and post pics if I want..Fuck off..

Reply to
in2-dadark

Nah, not the internet police, just someone who wants to be able to follow a webTVer's musings.

Reply to
Tomes