Iceland phasing out fossil fuels for clean energy

I've heard about this Icelandic push for alternative fuels before. I keep wondering, though, why they are hung up on switching the fishing fleet to hydrogen (or ethanol or...). Why don't they just use the wind? Yes, a ship would still need an engine for some circumstances but wind ought to be able to provide most of the energy they need to move the ships around.

Wind was used successfully for quite a long time before the shift to steam and then IC engines.

Of course, they could keep their IC engines and run them on a biodiesel derived from whale oil.

Reply to
DH

Save the whales!

Reply to
EdV

I'm not surprised by the water electrolysis to separate hydrogen and oxygen, I always thought the engine of the future would be something like that. There already was a Toyota Corolla in Asia running on water, not to power a fuel cell, but directed the hydrogen to the combustion chamber. Apparently his invention was able to separate the molecules by just using the car battery.

and just this year, this guy from PA who uses RF to burn salt water.

EdV

I wonder how much energy it takes to generate the RF energy to make the salt water ignite.

Reply to
dbu`

I can hear the environuts already. The republicans and the "big" corporations are depleting the oceans, where all life begins. The government must tax sea water to save the planet LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter