Ignition Timing, 88 'Supra 7M-GE NA Stock

OK. Did my plugs, wires etc back in January. Car was running OK, passed Fed emissions with high NOx. Decided to check the timing. Shorted E1&T and hit it with the light. It was way advanced, so I reset the timing to 10DBTDC just like the manual says. Removed the jumper from E1-T and the timing stayed exactly the same. This leads me to one of two conclusions: The advance isn't working (backed up by the higher than usual NOx readings) or The advance is ALWAYS on.

Suggestions/Advice welcome! I check the vacuum routing according to the hood, everything looks OK. What else should I be guessin..er, looking for? ;)

Cross posting to Camry in hopes QSlim may be chcking in...

Reply to
hachiroku

emissions with high NOx. Decided to check the timing. Shorted E1&T and hit it with the light. It was way advanced, so I reset the timing to 10DBTDC just like the manual says. Removed the jumper from E1-T and the timing stayed exactly the same. This leads me to one of two conclusions:

Does the timing advance when you free rev it??. I would have thought that in an perfect world the timing should not move after you reset it at idle if it was done correctly, but go off scale when you free rev it. At least that's what my 6M did and my dads 3S do.

Reply to
Nick Bourne

Hmmm....I had a Celica w/a 22RE, and as soon as you removed the jumper the engine would advance off the scale. I had another car I set the timing on that did this, too.

Now, I shorted E1-T, and appeared to make no difference. I also noted on the hood diagram that it showed a plug similar to what I had on my Celica that you shunted to set the timing. But, those terminals were marked E1 & T also.

Perhaps the E1 & T connectors in the Diagnostics block is different from the plug used to set the timing????

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yep, T and e1 are the terminals I always used and in the diagnostics block. I never connected for disconnected them with the ignition on though.

Do you have a BGB or do you use a Haynes manual or similar?

I'll have a look through my BGB for my cressida, the ECU and motor

5M/6M-GE combo is basically similar to the 7M atmo. Get back to you in a couple of hours.
Reply to
Nick Bourne

emissions with high NOx. Decided to check the timing.

timing to 10DBTDC just like the manual says. Removed

one of two conclusions:

If the timing light does not show advance when you rev the engine (without the jumper) something is wrong. Maybe you have a blown fuse. Do you get a trouble code?

Reply to
Danny G.

All the BGB says for your original issue with high NOx is to check the EGR circuit, but did the 7M still have a EGR system? My JDM 6M didn't.

How far advanced was the timing before you reset it? Also was the motor at normal operating temp.

Also I had a thought that advance always on would not really send you NOx up. Do you think you could be getting a lean mix somehow? Is there a small air leak?

Other than that I'm out of idea's. Sorry I cant be more helpful.

Reply to
Nick Bourne

Someone said to remove the EFI fuse for thirty seconds and start over. Now, I have done this with a handful of Toys and it has NEVER made a difference.

What the hell...I'll try it. The idle dropped SO low it had truble kicking into first gear. I reset the timing to the factory 10DBTDC...WHOA!

Now THAT'S more like it!!!! Yeeeee-Haaaaa! ;)

(Now, to get rid of that slushbox Automatic... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hey man. I put a post up in the camry forum. I still check in here from time to time, but it seems every time I do my reader gets inundated with posts about why GM is better than Toyota, why Toyota is better than GM, something about nude beaches, and the inevitable "when should I change my oil, and is synthetic better" thread.

Reply to
qslim

Not to mention the Dems did this, the Libs did that, etc.

Hey, wanna see my webcam? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

hey man. I put a post up in Camry. I do check in here from time to time, but it seems that whenever I do there is a gigantic GM vs Toyota thread, something about nude beaches, and the standard issue "when should I change my oil and should I use synthetic" debate.

Reply to
qslim