Impact Wrench

Hi, I got a 275lb air impact wrench. Is it possible to use it to remove the crankshaft bolt on a 2000 Sienna, or do I need to get a bigger one?

Thanks for your advise!

Reply to
ZR

Torque for the bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley is 159 ft-lbs. I don't know how big the impact gun is, but even if you can fit it in there, you will need a pin spanner or special service tool to hold the pulley while loosening and tightening the bolt and you will need a puller to get the pulley off the shaft.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks, Ray. I thought an impact wrench would be able to loose the bolt without the need to hold the pulley. So that's not going to work?

Reply to
ZR

Based on past performance, the impact wrench has never failed. No need to hold the pulley. As ZR states, if the pulley does not just come off by hand, you need a bolt-on type puller, not a claw type. Reinstalling the bolt to the proper torque would require holding the pulley/crank In a pinch, an impact wrench can be used, but not recommended.

If you need to hold the pulley, install a couple of bolts into the holes on the pulley for the puller. Then place a bar between these bolts and something solid, like the floor.

Reply to
toyomoho

You should be able to get the bolt off with an impact gun without holding the pulley, however, getting it back on is another story ;-)

See toyomoho's very good post regarding getting the pulley off and on.

Reply to
Ray O

That's great! thanks!

Reply to
ZR

Try it first. 99% of all crank bolts I break loose didn't need the pulley held

Reply to
Stephen H