Inadequate torque transfer from engine-02 corolla

I have a manual 02 corolla. When I try to accelerate in any gear, the engine starts reving hard but it does not transfer the power to the wheels the power comes slowly and after some lag. What could be the problem?

Wajahat

Reply to
sh-aly

Check clutch master cylinder fluid level. If it is low fill to specs and check slave cylinder on clutch to see if it is leaking. If both components check ok, then you might just need a new clutch. Mileage?

sh-aly wrote:

Reply to
nowhere

It sounds like the clutch is slipping. Assuming that you are in the S.F. Bay area and depending on mileage, driving conditions, and driving technique, the clutch may be worn.

Reply to
Ray O

I don't see what fluid level would have to do with it?...I'd say its a slipping clutch for sure...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Gord is correct.

A low fluid level in the clutch master cylinder could cause hard shifting but not slipping. On the other hand, if the clutch master cylinder were hanging up somehow (very unlikely), it could cause slipping, as could weak pressure springs (which would still require clutch replacement to fix).

Reply to
Ray O

It sounds like you've burned up the clutch.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

No matter the status of the hydraulics, the clutch is toast. The hydraulics can also be toasted, but the description of the symptoms is not right for this to be the case.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thank you for your responses ppl. The mileage on the car is 67000 and it has been used a lot in stop and go traffic. How much does a cluch change generally cost?

Reply to
sh-aly

Where? It's a labor intensive job requiring removal of both engine and transmission. Prices do tend to vary depending on where you are in the world and how much labor runs. In CenTex maybe $1,100 of which maybe $200 is parts.

Got a Tacoma? Join spam-free

a Corolla? Join spam free

harriswest

Unfortunately, it is probably $1,500 to $2,000 in the Bay Area.

Reply to
Ray O

I had a mechanic install a new clutch in my BMW a year ago, it cost about $900. The clutch itself wasn't too expensive, but the labor was huge.

If you can do the work yourself, I'd guess the clutch and associated parts that go along with it will run to about $250, give or take.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm betting your beemer wasn't front wheel drive.

Got a Tacoma? Join spam-free

a Corolla? Join spam free

harriswest

Reply to
sh-aly

That would be a good bet. But the cost of the clutch and associated parts is still relatively small compared to the cost of the job so the point remains the same.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland