Installing air conditioner in 2003 Corolla

I am interested in installing an air conditioner in my 2003 Corolla. I originally purchased this car without an air conditioner.

Is this possible? If so about how much would it cost? Is this something I can do myself or do I need to pay someone to install it?

Any info. would be great!

Thanks. Clint.

Reply to
farleigh

Toyota used to offer AC kits, I do not know if they still or not.

Installing an AC will take someone who has done several installations 3 or 4 hours, and that is with air ratchets and AC evacuation pumps and gauges.

Installing a factory AC kit requires installing the ductwork, amplifier and associated controls, power sources, compressor, evaporator, condenser, high and low pressure lines.

I do not recommend attempting to install an air conditioner yourself.

Reply to
Ray O

I don't see why they would stop selling the kits - that's the one option that if they didn't install it on the car at the factory, and you want it, they add it at the dealer.

The trick is finding one for a 2003 car if they have made major changes to the body since then. If there have been no big changes, you get a 2006 kit which would fit.

If there have been production changes to the car since then, you have to track down a 'New Old Stock' AC Add-on kit for an 03 car, or assemble one from components. And separate pieces is not the cheap way to go.

As I've told other people, the mechanical installation part anyone good at following instructions can do. Tear apart the heater box, install evaporator core, install new box, add AC switch to controls, mount compressor, condenser, filter/drier, connect with hoses.

But you need too many expensive specialized tools to handle the refrigerant system evacuation, leak testing, and charging part of the job. And many mechanics don't want to do just half the job if they are responsible for making the whole thing work.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
tom418

Thanks to everyone! I haven't yet tried to contact a dealer but I'll call one today and see what they have to say. To my knowledge the 2003 body is the same as the 2006 (they look the same anyways).

I don't have the tools and about the only thing I do is change my oil so I doubt that would be a good idea for me to try to install it myself.

Cl> That's exactly how I got my A/C installed on my '79 Celica. The dealer

Reply to
far9999

Reply to
far9999

No, but what else is new...?

You may have to track down a Factory AC Kit somewhere on the Web, get it shipped to you, and have a local independent shop install it. But check with a few more local Toyota Dealer service departments and the independent AC/Radiator shops in your area first to A: see how much can they install a system for, and what parts they will use (Factory or Aftermarket) and B: if they will install a factory kit for you if you locate and buy it elsewhere.

The kit just makes it easier and a bit cheaper to do the work, since all the pieces you need are in the one big box. But it does you no good to buy one if you can't find someone local to put it on the car.

If you need to assemble a system from pieces, they can get many of the components from the aftermarket part manufacturers - evaporator and condenser coils, hoses, receiver/drier. And a properly remanufactured compressor will work just fine.

The only odd parts that you probably have to get from a Toyota dealer parts counter are the heater box plastic enclosure parts, the "AC Amplifier" box(*), and the "AC" pushbutton and pieces needed to convert the dashboard control panel.

(* - The "AC Amplifier" is an important little control box - it monitors the evaporator temperature with a thermistor to prevent evaporator ice-ups, and it monitors the compressor shaft RPM and will cut off the system by killing the clutch power if the compressor locks up. Otherwise, a locked compressor would break the drive belt, and on cars with a single serpentine belt that would leave you stranded. Or worse, the belt slips and catches on fire from friction...)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman