Installing Insignia IN-MP101 stereo in 94 Camry

Hi all,

So I bought IN-MP101 car stereo and tried to hook it upto my 1994 Camry LE. I am not able to hook it upto my camry. Does anyone knows if this stereo is compatible with the brackets and stereo slot of a camry and if so can anyone give the detailed instructions as to how to do that.

Thanks

Reply to
Nick

If it is a 2-din stereo, it should fit. Check

for instructions.

Reply to
Ray O

Can you give a detail as to why it doesn't fit? On the stock radio, there should be a left and a right bracket. ALL car stereos I have ever installed have had holes for screws marked N for Nissan and T for Toyota.

If you haven't, remove the old brackets and install them on the new radio. If this does not work, you'll have to purchase a Metra or Scosche installation kit for $8-19.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ok so after a lot of tussle I could get it through the slot but now the problem is that when i connected the wires based on the flow chart i could not get the system to power on. I just inserted the wires in the respective slots of the original adapter. Do i need to buy another adapter (male) first to hook the stereo wires and then connect it to the car adapter (female).

Reply to
Nick

There are 3 possible approaches:

1) Cut the factory harness and splice the aftermarket harness - for most people, this is a huge mistake because they have no clue what they are doing and make poor splice connections. The unlucky ones create drivability problems, or cause problems with the HVAC system, and the really unlucky ones set their cars on fire. 2) make up your own adapter - you have to be able to read and understand an electrical wiring diagram or be very good at interpreting a wire's function based on voltage and continuity tests. 3) Buy an adapter - For under $20-, this is the simplest and most reliable solution for most people.
Reply to
Ray O

At Wal*Mart. Match the colors and the connectors and be done with it! $6.99.

I stopped all the crap with the ohm meter and the 9V battery. I wish they had these back in '87 before I hacked the wiring for my Hachiroku to shreds...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I bought the adapter from walmart and hooked it with the stereo cable and the car wires. After removing the faceplate one red LED glows but when i connect faceplate stereo does not power on. It accepts and ejects CD but does not play. Is this something to do with wiring again or the stereo is defective.....

Reply to
Nick

The stereo probably has at least 2 power feeds. Are the feeds getting power?

Reply to
Ray O

Atlast it worked but only for some time. I thought before inserting the stereo in console let me make sure wires are not lose and then after that when i again tried to power on it didn't work only the red LED glowing which indicates that its getting power

Reply to
Nick

If it worked for some time and then quit working, there is most likely a problem with the wiring from a loose connection. If the fuse is blowing, then the problem could also be a short to ground. In either case, double-check your wiring job and make sure that you have not nicked or cut the insulation on any wires.

Reply to
Ray O