Interesting talk with Toyota

Don't talk about yourself that way, little moron.

Reply to
johngdole

One of my early jobs was as a customer relations analyst (the complaint department). One of the things I learned early on was that people who fancied themselves as automotive experts tended to ask the questions with the least amount of relevance to their vehicle. Whether a particular engine was interference or non-interference was a common one, and Toyota's stock response is the one Ed gave. Even if an engine is non-interference, if you have to replace the timing belt anyway, why not save the cost of a tow?

Reply to
Ray O

Because as even a casual reader of the this newsgroup knows that anytime you have the timing belt changed, there is a chance that your engine will not run as well after that. This problem happens far too often, even when the timing belt change is performed by a dealer.

Reply to
Mark A

"Mark A" wrote in news:_6saj.26089$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

Because as even a casual reader of the this newsgroup knows that anytime you have the timing belt changed, there is a chance that your engine will not run as well after that. This problem happens far too often, even when the timing belt change is performed by a dealer.

Ridiculous !!! If the work is done CORRECTLY there is no way there is degradation in engine performance. A dealership that cannot do this fairly basic job properly will not be in business very long. dc

Reply to
doncee

If you followed this sort of thinking for all maintenance, you might argue you shouldn't have your oil changed, or even have the car washed, since incompetent service people can screw up almost any job.

If you take your car to a competent mechanic, there is no reason to believe that having the timing belt replaced will negatively affect the performance of your vehicle. Of course if the service is done wrong, bad things can happen. Changing a timing belt is not rocket science. Most manufacturers provide clear instructions. I have personally changed many timing belts, although I've never done a V6. I think the worst case timing belt was a VW that required removing a motor mount. The easiest was a Ford Pinto with a 2L I4. I could do one of those in 30 minutes, even if the original belt broke.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The notion that one should wait until the timing belt breaks and pay for a tow to a shop to have the timing belt replaced because of the chance that a shop or dealer will make the engine run poorly when the timing belt is replaced is not very logical. After the timing belt breaks, it still has to be replaced, and if the engine was running when it broke, then the cam(s) will be out of time so the chances that the car will run poorly are even greater, and now you have the additional expense of a tow.

Reply to
Ray O

"Mark A" wrote in message news:_6saj.26089$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahha... ROFL again

OK, don't do the required maintenance for a vehicle then and there will be no chance. Without a doubt it neglect will cause problems.

Reply to
Danny G.

As well as a chance that the belt could break at a very inopportune time.

For example:

- In a heavy snowstorm

- On a lonely back road with no cell service, on a cold and rainy night

- In the Bronx

- While stuck in traffic, in the center lane

- On the way to work, when you're out of vacation time

- When you really need a bathroom, for #2...

- While your wife or kid is driving it

- As you accelerate up the Interstate ramp to merge in front of the tandem tractor trailer doing 65 or 70 MPH.

- On a busy, blind curve

- On the way to a relaxing weekend

- In a town with one repair shop, on Saturday night. "How much ya' got? The part will be here Tuesday or Wednesday."

No worries! Wait 'till it breaks... And remember, if it's in a hazardous location, the police will chose the tow company for you. Hope they're good!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

All the others, I'd take my chances.

This one...SCREW THE CAR, I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ray, I took your same advice some time ago and had it and the water pump replaced in a 1992 corolla (low miles) recently. Actually it ran fine before the repair too but aside from costs, I don't like playing russian roulette and taking the chance that I might get stuck on the road and damage the engine much more especially on a car that runs well to begin with. After the repair, it runs fine too. This car is a very basic car but is economical to run and likely will last as long as I do. It's funny because I tend to drive it more than the newer cars I own and I live in an upscale neighborhood (bmw's and lexus around) so I probably stick out (inherited this car) but I don't care. It's a great car for around town and I don't have to worry about tight parking spots .

Reply to
observer

Enjoy your renewed ride!

Reply to
Ray O

Thank God there are good Toyota techs in my area! (Wilbraham and...ugh... Pittsfield...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Come to think of it, you have quite a few choices... besides Wilbraham and Pittsfield, there's Westfield, N. Adams, Greenfield, Northampton, and Bennington, VT.

Reply to
Ray O

As an answer to the question the original post referred to:

The guide gives information for many brands and models. You can also do an online search to see if you have an interference engine or not.

Good luck!

Keith Lee wrote:

then to a dealership here in

non-interference engine or not.