Iridium plugs

Another thing I've noticed since starting to use these, is that I've not only gotten a slight MPG increase ( maybe 2 ) but can now use medium octane instead of high octane in the 93 Corolla wagon ( 1.8 EFI ).

That won't hurt the injectors or anything will it?

When I bought the car, they said I could alternate between medium and high octane tankfuls, but when using medium it used to run a bit rough.

Now it's smooth, and I save about 10 cents a gallon.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

The car should run on regular 87 octane fuel. It should not be necessary to use medium or high octane fuel.

Reply to
Ray O

If the engine doesn't ping, the octane is high enough.

A Corolla should barely ping, if at all, on 87 octane. Either the gas stations in your area are cheating, or something is wrong with the car, such as a vacuum leak.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

The Corolla, or even the Camrys should be able to run on 87 gas without pinging. If the engine pings it usually means it's not as healthy as it should be (e.g., lean mixture condition, excessive carbon buildup in the combustion chamber, plugged fuel filter etc).

You already found the advantage of iridium plugs that it's thin center iridium alloy electrode allows for a lower firing voltage and the ability to ignite leaner mixtures (normal is about 14.7:1, the iridiums can ignite IIRC 17-18:1 lean mixtures). I know, these are great stuff.

The prices have come down a lot for these excellent plugs (~$12 -> ~ $6). For those who still have to save a couple of bucks over NGK Laser Iridiums or Iridium-IX, try Autolite Iridium XP with 5 years unlimited miles warranty. $4.99 after rebate at Schuck's or Kragen. However, it's said to have less Ir than NGK.

Select plugs only by using the application catalogs and not "cross reference charts":

NGK:

Autolite Iridium:

johngdole

I was told by the dealer when we bought it, to use high octane and that we could alternate between that and medium octane.

Is there a reference for that?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

I haven't read the manual in years but believe it said high octane.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

But I can't change the mixture to lean it out anyway, can I?

Thanks. :)

Reply to
Sarah Houston

See my response to your other post. Unfortunately, most dealer sales personnel are not very knowledgeable about the technical aspects of the products they sell. If you ask the service department, they are more likely to give the correct answer, which is 87.

Reply to
Ray O

You cannot change the mixture to lean it out, and there is no advantage to doing so because an engine that is leaner than it is designed to run will produce higher emissions, less power, and lower fuel economy.

Reply to
Ray O

No, the purpose is not for the owner to lean out the mixture. But that the plug is capable of operating lean of stoichiometric mixture.

As I mentioned, if the engine can't operate at stoichiometric, it's got a problem.

Reply to
johngdole

I wonder why it always got rougher running on medium test then?

If we went back to 91 octane it got better again.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Have you tried the old standby remedy for rough-running engines, a bottle of Techron to clean the combustion chambers, intake valves, and fuel injectors?

I've never heard of a Corolla being designed to require more than 87 pump octane, and even V-6 Camrys are specified for just medium 89.

Reply to
nothing_more_than

Up here in Canada, my 99 Camry V6 runs just fine on REGULAR grade gas. The computer adjusts everything to compensate. A couple of tankfuls of Premium make NO perceivable difference in performance. Perhaps minor fuel economy improvements. Not worth the extra cost.

Reply to
sharx35

If it was running poorly on 87 octane, then something else was wrong, either something with the ignition system like spark plugs, coil, ignition wires, base ignition timing, or something else.

Reply to
Ray O

I don't know about that, but I use a can of BG44k after each oil change.

Jeez.

The dealership told us that when we bought it, and the manual said 91 too, we had no idea about this, all these years!

Reply to
Sarah Houston

You shouldn't need fuel injector cleaner that often, and over-use of fuel injector cleaner can sometimes degrade flexible fuel lines. I have never used fuel injector cleaner in any of our vehicles and have never experienced a fuel injector problem. If you feel better about using fuel injector cleaner, once every 30,000 miles or so should be plenty.

Reply to
Ray O

I can attest to this. Overuse of fuel injector cleaner can turn around and clog/crack an injector and if you're in 'Lithia Dealership' territory, they'll spend 10-15 hours diagnosing it and then attempting to pass on $90/hr x 10-15 hours and $150+ for the injector....

I would strongly suggest NOT using injector cleaner often.

Reply to
mrsteveo

I would strongly suggest NOT using injector cleaner often.

******* So do most automakers.
Reply to
Ray O

But BG44K isn't "injector cleaner", is it?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Here's what they say about it. I'm not sure it's termed as "injector cleaner", per se.

BG 44K® Power Enhancer® BG 44K® Power Enhancer® safely, rapidly and thoroughly removes engine deposits in combustion chambers, intake manifolds, ports and on valves. It restores flow in fuel injectors and cleans the entire fuel system. BG 44K® Power Enhancer® improves fuel economy and reduces exhaust emissions. It restores that ?like new? driveability to an engine?s performance and keeps it running better, longer and more efficiently. Add one can or bottle to fuel tank at fill up. Catalytic converter and oxygen sensor safe. NOTE: After cleanup with BG 44K® Power Enhancer,® regular use of BG Supercharge®II, Part No. 202, in gasoline engines or BG Diesel Fuel Conditioner with DPL, Part No. 2276, in diesel engines will prevent deposits from forming in the fuel system and upper engine for maximum driveability and fuel economy. Part No. 208 Part No. 208A 11 oz. (325 mL) can

11 oz. (325 mL) bottle
Reply to
Sarah Houston