Is it possible to easily disable the DRLs for a 2001 Corolla?

Hi,

I've been annoyed with the daytime running lights since the car was new. What must be done to turn them off? Is it as simple as removing a fuse or do I need a handheld diagnostic tool/ analyzer? Is there a less expensive aftermarket version instead of manufacturers model?

Thanks in advance, Mike

Reply to
mike

Detailed instructions are at "

" It's more complicated than removing a fuse, but you don't need special tools. If you cut the wire and add a switch, use an enclosed pushbutton switch, i.e. "
"Remember to use heat shrink tubing over the soldered connections. I was recently in Canada where DRLs are required by law.

The first thing that I noticed is that they don't have the U.S. problem of many vehicles with extremely bright, and poorly aimed DRLs. Or maybe because it was winter and the cars were all so dirty that the dirt was blocking a lot of the light.

The second thing I noticed that there were a _LOT_ of vehicles with only one headlight operating, a lot more than in the U.S..

I don't recall seeing the major U.S. problem with DRLs, drivers that don't realize that their lights aren't on, only their DRLs, so that they're driving with no rear lights.

Reply to
SMS

Are you sure the bright and poorly aimed DRL's are actually DRL's?

I'm not. I usually notice that the bright ones have tail lights on, which means they're headlights.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks, that is simple enough.

Mike

"

"> Remember to use heat shrink tubing over the soldered connections.>

Reply to
mike

I am sure that the ones that I see are those stupid high beam DRLs that have no business being aimed up at my eyes. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

snip

Do you know if this procedure is good for 2006 Corolla?

Jack

Reply to
Must be Me

I wonder if these are illegal in Canada. They are the most annoying type. GM loves them.

Reply to
SMS

I'm sure it's not. 2003-2007 is the ninth generation Corolla for the U.S., and is different than the 1998-2002.

See "

". Someone mentioned that the Corolla is similar.

Reply to
SMS

Dunno about Canada... I see these evil high beam DRLs on Toyotas, GMs and BMWs (I think that is all). The BMWs are especially evil. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

They use the high beams because they don't want to burn out the low beam filaments prematurely. They put the high beam filaments in series for DRLs to lower the light output. It's a terrible way to do DRLs. The NHTSA should be issuing updated standards for lights that addresses the DRL problems. Until then, it'd be best if everyone disabled them.

Reply to
SMS