Is the Hummer "greener" than the Prius?

You assume CO2 output is even the real issue.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

To quote your words.....

**** " in an automotive application " ****. You're correct as far as that goes.

It's old tech anywhere else.

Do you think fuel injection is hi-tech too btw ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The Peugeot diesels are the best I know of, although of course not available to you. I drove a compact Peugeot turbo diesel 1.9 litre back in '88 and it was remarkably brisk ! The sales rep was moderately impressed too. I actually couldn't tell it wasn't a gasoline engine other than the 4500 ? max rpm.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com, Eeyore sprach forth the following:

You "fail to see" quite a lot of things, chimp.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com, Eeyore sprach forth the following:

Look it up, chimp.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

If you are speaking of "greener" then it is. Unless you mean greener as in money wise. Even then, if you were to replace the battery at 4 thousand dollars.. the cost is still better.

Reply to
GO Mavs

Has there ever been a production car in the past 50 years that was new- tech?

There are tech articles about the Prius at

and
(article #199200607), including a video of one being taken apart. The emphasis is mostly on the electronics, and the CPUs are dated 1995.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Just my impression of driving for 30+ years and having driven one for a little while.

Reply to
Leythos

No idea, can you use Google?

Reply to
Leythos

There's no proof that CO2 is causing global wrming, if that's what you mean. It's entirely conjecture.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Exactly. That's really old stuff in the world of electronics.

Even ideas like regenerative braking go back nearly a century.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Do tell more please.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I was hoping someone might know.

Google links to lots of sites that don't give a number but I did eventually find.....

6.8 MPG !

That's worse than a semi averages hauling a load !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

There is nothing more to tell, based on my Opinion, and that's all I've got, I think that the Pirus will cost more in maintenance than the Hummer over the same period of time, not to mention that I think it will deteriorate more over the same period of time - and the comfort level is vastly different.

Reply to
Leythos

Why did you capitalize "opinion"??? You're falling apart, one Lego at a time.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why do you feel the need to divert from the topic/subject in ever thread you post in?

Since YOU can't control how I PoSt, since you don't have HOPE of changING how I post, Why Don't You Troll Somewhere Else?

Reply to
Leythos

Gee whiz...I'm just curious. You're doing this strange capitalization thing today. I wondered if maybe you had a mild stroke.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It's certainly been around a lot longer than hybrid automobiles - 1955 (Mercedes-Benz/Bosch) or 1957 (Chevrolet/Rochester) depending on what side of the pond you're on. And that's not even counting race-only setups like Hilborn.

Sure there have been hybrid Diesel/electric locomotives for about that long, but the real challenge is scaling that technology down to work in a midsized-car application, and we still haven't been 100% succesful. I say that because the Prius is still heavier and slower than a comparable conventional vehicle.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I'll have to take your word for it; the track record of French automakers in the US has been uniformly abysmal (and FIAT as well, for that matter.) Really the only European imports we get in any quantity are the German ones, and in fact I'm pretty sure that those are the only ones that have an official presence here save for Rolls-Royce and Bentley.

nate

Reply to
N8N

When we're talking about a machine that I'm strapped into, traveling down the highway at (mumble) MPH, I'd prefer that the electronics be old-tech, thankyewverymuch. Just like the CPUs used in fire alarm systems tend to be stuff that was obsolete in the PC world a decade ago. We use 'em because they're proven, and don't adopt new technology until that too is proven. When your PC crashes, that's a figure of speech. When your car crashes...

nate

Reply to
N8N