Is the problem the distributor? Your help appreciated.

Hello, I have a 1991, J reg, Carina ll auto, 2 litre (I'm in the UK). It has developed a habit of cutting out - *not* misfiring - when the engine is warm and when stationary or slowing down. There is often a click after it cuts out and often it is difficult to restart for a couple of minutes after this happens.

I have no idea whether it's related - I'm afraid I'm a member of The World's Worst Mechanics Club - but it is also blowing some white smoke.

Any help much appreciated.

Kind regards

Neil C

Reply to
Neil Coppendale via CarKB.com

You have to start with the basics - air, fuel, ignition at the proper times.

The white smoke is indicative of a head gasket leak, probably unrelated to the stalling condition.

Reply to
Ray O

Maybe the battery or alternator? Slowing might lesson the charge thus stalling the car.

Reply to
Josh

I doubt if its the battery or alternator because it would not re-start.

Reply to
Ray O

ok need some basic service and love for 10 year old toy. in edinburgh. any recommendations please?

thanks a.

Reply to
a8359

I'll bet you damned carefully checked your spelling on this one before you hit send!... :)

--

-Gord.

"Perhaps my memory isn't what it used to be - if it ever was"

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I had an intermittently open circuit winding in the distributor of my '88 supra, it got gradually worse over a six month period, Initially the car would sometimes not start instantly, but would start after being turned over a couple of times, then it would be fine for a few weeks. It gradually got worse and eventually cut out when running.

The engine computer gave a fault code ( I can't remember exactly what it was, something like "no G1, G2 or NE signal" )which enabled me to track it down.

It's quite likely however that my supra was the only one ever to have this particular fault, the electronics on Toyotas are supposedly very good.

The first thing to do is to check for error codes.

UK spec cars usually have fewer error codes than their American counterparts simply because there are fewer emission systems but the codes that are there seem to be the same.

A repair manual will explain how to read the codes.

Reply to
Neil J. Harris