it’s me again, with my 1981 toyota

so, i changed my alternator because it was dead. in fact when i took it to get checked at the store, the machine shut itself down because of how bad the alternator was. now i have a new alternator and a new battery. but just now i was going to go out for lunch and the truck wouldn?t start. can it be that the cheap battery i bought for it is just bad? or can it be something more serious?

thanks all.

Reply to
jaimeworking

A good friend of mine who owns an automotive electrical service shop has a sign on his wall that reads "95% of alternator problems are actually the battery."

Bad batteries KILL alternators.

Replace the battery.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Make sure the battery cables are tight on the battery post. IMO, cheap batteries are a waste of time and money. Invest in at least a mid-grade or better battery. If the car won't start, any advice you get here will only be a guess. A no-start condition should be diagnosed with a meter and battery/charging system tester.

Reply to
Ray O

So are cheap alternators. And a cheap Alternator can die right away.

It could be the battery but I kind of doubt it, unless it was REALLY cheap, what brand did you get?

Reply to
Josh

Did you ever hook up the trouble light to see if you can identify what is drawing your power? Something has to be draining your battery! or Have you joined the ranks of us faulty starter folks? Is the plunger in the starter clicking when you turn the key? (Starter contacts) To confirm the battery is good, do the lights work?

If you review Scott in Florida's reply to you, he had his diodes burn out and drain his battery. Not sure about these, but they may be in your regulator and the may cook your new alternator and your battery. (pure speculation on my part but might be an idea to check) You may need professional advice rather than the free advice from here to identify the problem.

Gordo

Reply to
Gordo