Key needed for Lug Nuts on 2004 Corolla. Where, how much?

I bought a 2004 Corolla S in July. It needed new tires, and didn't notice the wheels have a lock on each one.

I finally had them removed and had the tires changed. I'm missing a lug nut for all 4 wheels currently, and either need to purchase a key, replacement set of locks or regular lug nuts.

Before I start shopping, has anyone bought these?

The tire place told me a Toyota dealer could make me a new key for $5, but I tend to doubt that. What does a new set of 4 cost? How about plain lug nuts?

Thanks.

Reply to
Nate Goulet

I don't know what they cost. But, you shouldn't be driving around with a lug nut missing. Are you really so cheap that you can't stop at an auto supply store and pick up some plain ones? Seriously.

If you really need to know the price for the locking ones, go to a site like

and do some research. Or, call the parts department at the nearest Toyota dealership. That's where I got mine.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't like locking nuts myself.. I'm always afraid I won't have the key the one time I need it... Which according to Murphy's law, will always be at night in the freezing rain while you are 419 miles from home.. :/ But for the short time, I would run , not walk, to the closest auto parts store to get 4 more regular lug nuts just to hold you until you decide what to do. If it were me, I'd leave em on and call it a day.. MK

Reply to
nm5k

As several others have suggested, you should get the missing lug nuts installed ASAP. I don't know the price of the key, but an entire set of locking lug nuts with key is north of $100 at a Toyota dealer, probably a little less at an auto parts store. I don't know what type of wheels you have on your Corolla or the crime rates in the areas where you park, but I suspect that Corolla wheels are not very high on the wish list of auto parts thieves.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the advice.

Two tires places told me 4 lug nuts were needed, the 5th one was more cosmetic. From what i'm hearing here, that doesn't seem to be true.

When I had the tires changed, I forgot to ask them to replace them with regular lug nuts. When I remembered a half hour later, they already had my wheels off (I was told a 2 hour wait). The mechanic said he'd just leave them off. It was too late to change my paperwork by the point.

I just wanted to find out what people had to say, but it seems they need to be replaced ASAP in any case. Thanks.

Reply to
Nate Goulet

Gee, I would get all 5. I don't know if it is just cosmetic, but what if one of the remaining four is not properly tightened?

Gee, it seems that they are able to change the paperwork when they want to add stuff to the bill pretty easily.

Reply to
Jeff

If only four were needed, car companies will save tons of money using four instead of five lugs over the years.

Go to your local parts store (Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc) and pick up the keyed or regular lugs that fit. Or order from rockauto.com (see below).

You may even want to pick up a torque wrench, like the $14.99 on sale

150lb/ft one at Harbor Freight to properly tighten the lugs, in a star pattern with the weight off the wheel.

rockauto.com (add shipping) lists

regular: DORMAN Part # 611066 $0.92 each. RAYBESTOS Part # 6829N $0.96 each

Keyed: DORMAN Part # 711326 {AutoGrade Hardware} $11.79

Reply to
johngdole

I took the advice to get them ASAP, and it's one less worry now.

Thanksfully I noticed this past weekend a Toyota dealler finally moved closer to my area. Previously they were about an hour away, plus the hastle of heavy traffic areas.

I called my regular mechanic, and once again i'm told the car is perfectly safe to drive with only 4 lug nuts. But after reading the posts here, i'm not taking any chances.

The Toyota dealler said they could order a new key for $25 or $30, and it would take a week. They ended up selling me a new set for just under $45 with tax, just in case anyone else was wondering. If they had been $100+ as some mentioned, i'd have bought regular lug nuts. The dealler mentioned regular lug nuts from them were $8 each. I have new idea what this stuff should cost, that's why I posted here to get a clue. I remember 10 years ago a replacement electric mirror was $300 for one of my cars. I picked one up at a junk yard for $25.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Reply to
Nate Goulet

Time to find yourself a new mechanic.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Whether you get plain or locking lug nuts, be sure they're metric size because some English sizes seem to fit but can't be torqued down enough. For example, a lot of foreign brand cars need 12mm lug nuts, and 1/2" nuts are only 1/2 mm larger.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly